Turkey sandwiches are a classic favorite that can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner. But the sandwich itself isn’t enough to make a meal. You need sides! That’s why we’ve put together this list of 21 delicious side dishes you can serve with your turkey sandwiches.
What To Serve With Turkey Sandwiches?
Traditionally, sides served with turkey sandwiches include mashed potatoes and gravy. But there’s so much more you can do to make your turkey sandwich meal complete. Some popular sides to serve with turkey sandwiches include potato salad, pomegranate and dried cranberries salad, avocado pasta salad, coleslaw, macaroni salad, mixed leaf salad and pomegranate salad.
1. Potato Salad
Potato salad is an absolute must when it comes to serving up turkey sandwiches. You can’t have a proper sandwich meal without this classic side dish! But don’t just settle for any potato salad: make sure you get the good stuff.
The kind that has tons of flavor and plenty of crunchy veggies mixed in – because no one likes a boring potato salad, right? And don’t forget the mayo – some people like it extra creamy.
2. Pomegranate and Dried Cranberries Salad
This side dish is bursting with flavor! The sweet and tart combination of pomegranate and dried cranberries makes it the perfect accompaniment to the savory turkey sandwich.
Throw in some crunchy walnuts and crumbled cheese for an even more delicious side dish. Top it all off with a zesty dressing and you’ve got a perfect side dish for your next turkey sandwich meal.
3. Avocado Pasta Salad
If you’re looking for a side dish that will have your guests laughing, then look no further than avocado pasta salad.
This creamy and flavorful pasta salad is the perfect accompaniment to any turkey sandwich. The combination of avocados, cheese, and crunchy veggies with a zesty dressing will leave everyone wanting more.
In addition, it’s so easy to make – just whip up some mayo-based dressing and toss it all together in minutes.
Coleslaw is a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with turkey sandwiches. It’s creamy, crunchy, and loaded with flavor.
Shred some cabbage, carrots, and red onion. Then mix it with a delicious mayo-based dressing and seasonings of your choice.
Your coleslaw will be ready to serve in no time. And if you’re feeling adventurous, try adding some diced apples or raisins for even more flavor.
5. Macaroni Salad
Macaroni salad is a classic side dish that’s perfect for serving with turkey sandwiches. It’s creamy, cheesy, and loaded with flavor.
It’s also super easy to make – just boil some macaroni, mix it with mayo and seasonings of your choice, and top it off with some shredded cheese.
It’s the perfect side dish to make ahead of time, so it’s ready to go when you need it.
6. Mixed Leaf Salad
A mixed-leaf salad is a light and refreshing side dish that pairs perfectly with turkey sandwiches.
Start by mixing together some spinach, romaine, and arugula. Then add in some cherry tomatoes, sliced red onion, and toasted pumpkin seeds for a bit of crunch.
Top it all off with a light vinaigrette and you’ve got an amazing salad that will complement your turkey sandwiches perfectly.
7. Pomegranate Salad
Pomegranate salad is a great way to add some sweetness and color to your turkey sandwich meal. Start by mixing together pomegranate arils, diced apples, and some crumbled feta cheese.
Then add in some toasted walnuts for a bit of crunch and top it off with a light vinaigrette. This salad is guaranteed to make your turkey sandwiches even more delicious.
8. Cucumber Salad
Cucumber salad is a simple side dish that will add just the right amount of crunch to your turkey sandwich meal.
Mix together some chopped cucumbers, red onion, and parsley. Then add a light vinaigrette and let the flavors meld together before serving. This refreshing salad is sure to be a hit with everyone at the table.
9. Celeriac Puree
Celeriac puree is a creamy and flavorful side dish that pairs perfectly with turkey sandwiches.
Start by cooking some celery root in boiling water until it’s tender. Then add butter, cream, and seasonings of your choice to make a rich and creamy puree.
Top it off with some crispy bacon and you’ve got a delicious side dish that will make your turkey sandwiches even more delicious.
10. Crispy Zucchini Fritters
Zucchini fritters are a great way to add some crunch and flavor to your turkey sandwich meal. These delicious fritters are made with shredded zucchini, garlic, and herbs that are then fried until golden and crispy.
They add a crunchy texture to any meal and pair perfectly with the savory flavors of a turkey sandwich. Not only do they taste great but they’re also low in calories so you can enjoy them guilt-free. Serve them alongside your favorite condiments for an extra special treat.
11. Baked Potato Wedges
Take your turkey sandwich to the next level with some delicious baked potato wedges. Cut up some potatoes into wedges and bake until golden and crispy.
Serve them with a dollop of sour cream, fresh herbs, and your favorite condiments for an irresistible side dish.
12. Apple and Celery Salad
Apple and Celery Salad is a delicious and refreshing side dish that pairs perfectly with turkey sandwiches. The combination of crisp apples, celery, and a tangy dressing creates a unique flavor that everyone will enjoy.
Start by mixing together diced apples, celery, red onion, and parsley. Then add a light vinaigrette and let the flavors meld together before serving. Top it off with some toasted walnuts for extra crunch.
13. Tomato Basil Soup
Tomato basil soup is a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with turkey sandwiches. It’s simple to make and can be whipped up in no time.
Start by sautéing some onions and garlic in olive oil until softened. Then add in canned tomatoes, broth, and herbs of your choice. Simmer until the tomatoes are softened, then purée until smooth.
Top it off with some fresh basil leaves and you’ve got a delicious soup that your whole family will love.
14. Roasted Acorn Squash
Roasted acorn squash is a delicious side dish that will add a hint of sweetness to your turkey sandwich meal. Start by cutting the squash into wedges and brushing them with olive oil.
Roast until tender and golden, then sprinkle with fresh herbs of your choice. The sweet and savory flavors of this dish will perfectly complement the flavors of your turkey sandwich.
15. Spicy Peanut Salad
Spicy peanut salad is a flavorful side dish that adds an unexpected twist to your turkey sandwich meal. Start by mixing together shredded cabbage, red peppers, and fresh herbs. Then add in a spicy peanut sauce and let the flavors meld together before serving. To finish, top with some chopped peanuts for an extra crunch.
16. Fried Tomatoes
Nothing says ‘turkey sandwich’ quite like a side of fried tomatoes. They’re crunchy, savory and delicious, making them the perfect accompaniment for any turkey sandwich. Simply slice a few tomatoes, dip them in a batter made of flour, eggs and spices, and fry until golden brown. Serve these fried tomatoes with a sprinkle of herbs and your favorite condiment.
17. Garlic Bread
Garlic bread is a classic side for any sandwich, and it’s especially delicious with turkey sandwiches. Start by brushing slices of crusty bread with garlic-infused olive oil. Then bake until golden and crispy. Serve the garlic bread alongside your turkey sandwich for a delicious combination of flavors.
18. Caesar Pasta Salad
Add some crunch and flavor to your turkey sandwich with a Caesar pasta salad. Simply combine cooked macaroni noodles, diced tomatoes, crumbled bacon, and Parmesan cheese. Toss it all together with a creamy Caesar dressing and serve. The combination of pasta, bacon and Caesar dressing is sure to please.
19. Candied Sweet Potatoes
Candied sweet potatoes are a sweet and sticky side dish that will take your turkey sandwich to the next level. Start by simmering small cubes of sweet potatoes in a mixture of butter, brown sugar, and spices. Once they’re cooked through, bake them until golden and caramelized. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh herbs for a unique and delicious side.
20. Crunchy Broccoli Salad
Crunchy broccoli salad is a tasty and nutritious side dish that pairs perfectly with turkey sandwiches. Start by combining blanched broccoli florets with red onion, bacon and dried cranberries. Then make a simple dressing with mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar before tossing everything together. Top off the salad with some toasted almonds for a delicious crunch.
21. Cranberry-Maple Cornbread
Cranberry maple cornbread is a delicious and flavorful side dish that pairs perfectly with turkey sandwiches. The combination of the sweet, tart cranberries and the earthy maple syrup creates an unforgettable flavor.
Start by mixing together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Then stir in the cranberries and maple syrup before baking in a skillet until golden brown. Serve the cornbread warm, with a drizzle of maple syrup and butter for an extra touch of sweetness.
What Sauce Goes With Turkey Sandwich?
When it comes to pairing sauces with turkey sandwiches, there are a variety of options that can enhance the flavor and add a tasty kick to the meal. Here are some popular sauce options that you might consider:
1. Mayonnaise: This creamy and tangy sauce is a classic choice for turkey sandwiches. It can help balance out the saltiness of the turkey and provide a smooth texture to the sandwich. For a twist, you could mix the mayo with some herbs, spices, or even avocado for added flavor.
2. Mustard: If you prefer a tangy flavor, mustard could be the perfect sauce for you. Yellow mustard or Dijon mustard can add a zesty flavor to the sandwich, and you can choose from mild to spicy depending on your preference.
3. Cranberry sauce: This sweet and tart sauce is a popular choice during the holiday season, but it can also work well with turkey sandwiches year-round. The fruitiness of the cranberry sauce can complement the savory flavor of the turkey.
4. Ranch dressing: This creamy and tangy dressing is a versatile option that can go well with turkey sandwiches. Its cool and refreshing taste can provide a nice contrast to the warm and savory turkey.
5. Aioli: Made with garlic and olive oil, aioli is a flavorful sauce that can add a nice kick to turkey sandwiches. It has a rich and creamy texture that can complement the turkey’s natural flavors.
6. Gravy: For a hearty and satisfying sandwich, you could top your turkey sandwich with some warm gravy. It can add a savory flavor to the sandwich, and the thickness of the gravy can provide a nice contrast to the soft bread and turkey.
What Soup Goes With Turkey Sandwich?
Turkey sandwiches are often served with a variety of soups that can complement the sandwich flavors. Here are some popular soup options to consider:
1. Tomato soup: This classic soup is a great pairing with a turkey sandwich. The tangy flavor of the tomatoes and the creaminess of the soup balance well with the savory taste of the turkey.
2. Chicken noodle soup: This hearty soup is a great choice if you want something with a bit more substance. The noodles and vegetables in the soup add texture and flavor that complement the turkey sandwich.
3. Butternut squash soup: If you’re looking for something a bit more exotic, butternut squash soup is an excellent choice. The slightly sweet flavor of the soup is a nice contrast to the savory taste of the turkey.
4. Cream of mushroom soup: This rich and creamy soup is a popular pairing with turkey sandwiches. The earthy flavor of the mushrooms goes well with the mild taste of the turkey.
5. French onion soup: This soup is a bit more indulgent and pairs well with a more substantial turkey sandwich, like a turkey club. The savory broth and caramelized onions add depth of flavor to the meal.
What Bread Goes With Turkey Sandwich?
The type of bread you choose for your turkey sandwich can make or break the meal. Here are some classic bread options to consider:
1. Whole wheat bread: This is a healthy and popular option that pairs well with turkey sandwiches. Whole wheat bread adds a nutty flavor and a slightly denser texture to the sandwich.
2. Sourdough bread: The tangy flavor of sourdough bread can complement the savory taste of turkey. Its crusty exterior and soft interior make it a great choice for sandwiches that have a lot of toppings.
3. Rye bread: Rye bread has a distinct flavor that pairs well with turkey, especially if you’re making a Reuben-style sandwich with turkey, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing. The denser texture of rye bread can hold up well to heavy toppings.
4. Ciabatta bread: This Italian bread has a crispy crust and a soft, airy interior, making it a great choice for turkey sandwiches. The texture of the bread complements the texture of the turkey and its toppings.
5. Multigrain bread: Similar to whole wheat bread, multigrain bread is a healthy option that can add a variety of flavors and textures to your sandwich. It often includes ingredients like sunflower seeds, oats, and flaxseed, which can add a nutty taste to the sandwich.
What Other Meat Goes With Turkey Sandwich?
If you’re looking to mix things up and add some variety to your turkey sandwich, there are several other types of meat that pair well with turkey. Here are a few popular choices:
1. Ham: A classic combination of turkey and ham make for a delicious and hearty sandwich. Add some Swiss cheese and mustard for a classic club sandwich.
2. Roast beef: Thinly sliced roast beef is a great addition to a turkey sandwich. Add some cheddar cheese and horseradish sauce for a delicious twist on a classic sandwich.
3. Bacon: Everything is better with bacon, and a turkey sandwich is no exception. Crispy bacon can add some crunch and saltiness to your sandwich.
4. Chicken: If you want to keep things poultry-based, chicken and turkey can be a delicious combination. Try using shredded rotisserie chicken in your sandwich for added flavor.
5. Pastrami: For a deli-style sandwich, try adding some pastrami to your turkey sandwich. Add some sauerkraut and Russian dressing for a delicious Reuben-inspired sandwich.
Turkey sandwiches are a great meal to share with family and friends. There’s no need to keep the sides boring! With a bit of imagination and creativity, you can create a delicious side dish to complement the turkey sandwich. Try any of the 21 sides suggested above for a truly mouthwatering meal. Enjoy!