Sourdough bread is a delicious and nutritious way to enjoy your meals. Not only does it taste great, but sourdough bread has many health benefits including being low in gluten, high in fiber and full of probiotics that help aid digestion. But what do you eat with sourdough bread?
There are so many options for pairing this tasty treat with other foods – from savory spreads to sweet accompaniments! Whether you’re looking for a light snack or an entire meal, here are some great ideas for what to eat with sourdough bread.
What To Serve With Sourdough Bread?
Sourdough bread is a type of bread that is made with a sourdough starter. It is traditionally served with savory dishes such as soups, stews, salads, and cheese, as well as sweet accompaniments like jams, honey, and butter. Additionally, many types of condiments and spreads can be used to complement the flavor of sourdough bread.
What Food or Dinner Goes Well with Sourdough Bread?
Here are some side dishes ideas that will pair perfectly with sourdough bread:
- Avocado toast with poached eggs: Avocado toast is a popular dish and it tastes even better when served with poached eggs. The combination of these two ingredients is both healthy and delicious.
- Grilled cheese with tomato soup: Classic grilled cheese sandwiches are a great way to enjoy sourdough bread. The melty cheese and the tangy tomato soup complement each other perfectly.
- Bruschetta with fresh tomatoes and basil: You can make sourdough bruschetta with just a few simple ingredients. The combination of fresh tomatoes, basil and extra virgin olive oil is sure to please any palate.
- Smoked salmon and cream cheese open-face sandwich: Smoked salmon and cream cheese make a delicious combination when served on top of sourdough bread. It’s an easy and tasty way to enjoy a light meal.
- Crostini with goat cheese and fig jam: Sourdough crostini is a simple and delicious appetizer. The combination of creamy goat cheese and sweet fig jam is a classic flavor pairing that will never go out of style.
- BLT sandwich with crispy bacon, lettuce, and tomato: This sourdough bread sandwich is simple yet full of flavor. The crunchy bacon and the juicy tomatoes make this a perfect meal for any time of day.
- Roasted vegetable sandwich with hummus: This sandwich is a great way to get your daily dose of veggies. The creamy hummus and the crunchy roasted vegetables combine perfectly together when served on sourdough bread.
- Turkey and cranberry sauce sandwich with stuffing: A Thanksgiving favorite, this sandwich celebrates the flavors of the season. The combination of turkey, cranberry sauce and stuffing on top of a slice of sourdough bread is simply irresistible.
- Grilled portobello mushroom sandwich with pesto: Grilled portobello mushrooms are a delicious vegetarian option for sandwiches. The smoky flavor of the grilled mushroom pairs perfectly with the pesto and the tangy sourdough bread.
- Prosciutto and mozzarella panini with sun-dried tomatoes: If you’re looking for something a bit more indulgent, this sandwich is sure to satisfy you. The salty prosciutto, creamy mozzarella and sweet sun-dried tomatoes are a perfect combination of flavors.
- French toast with berries and maple syrup: This breakfast favorite is delicious when served with sourdough bread. The combination of sweet berries and syrup is sure to make your taste buds sing.
- Poached pear and blue cheese on toast: This combination of sweet and salty flavors is a delightful surprise. The juicy poached pears and the creamy blue cheese are sure to please any palate.
- Grilled chicken and avocado sandwich with chipotle mayo: If you’re looking for a hearty meal, this sandwich is a perfect choice. The combination of juicy grilled chicken, creamy avocado and tangy chipotle mayo will leave you wanting more.
- Ricotta and honey toast with sliced almonds: This sweet treat is perfect when served on top of sourdough bread. The creamy ricotta and the honey are a delightful combination, while the sliced almonds add a wonderful crunch.
- Fried egg sandwich with bacon and cheddar cheese: For a delicious and filling meal, try this sandwich. The combination of crispy bacon, melted cheddar cheese, and a fried egg makes for an unforgettable sandwich.
What Flavors Go Well With Sourdough Bread?
Sourdough bread has a tangy, slightly sour flavor that can pair well with a variety of different flavors. Here are some flavors that typically complement sourdough bread:
- Savory flavors like roasted garlic, onion, and herbs such as rosemary, thyme or sage.
- Sweet flavors like honey, maple syrup, or fruity jams and jellies.
- Salty flavors like cured meats, pickles, or olives.
- Spicy flavors like jalapenos, sriracha, or cayenne pepper.
- Umami flavors like mushrooms, soy sauce, or miso.
- Tangy flavors like mustard, vinaigrettes, or sour cream.
- Creamy flavors like butter, cream cheese, or avocado.
- Smoky flavors like grilled or smoked meats, or smoked cheeses.
- Nutty flavors like almonds, hazelnuts or pecans.
- Fruity flavors like fresh berries, apples, or pears.
Of course, these are just a few ideas, and there are countless other flavor combinations that can work well with sourdough bread.
What Soup Goes Well with Sourdough Bread?
Sourdough bread makes a great accompaniment to many different types of soup. Here are some soups that pair especially well:
- Creamy soups like tomato bisque, broccoli and cheese, or pumpkin.
- Brothy soups like minestrone, chicken noodle, or beef and barley.
- Chunky soups like clam chowder, split peas, or vegetables.
- Vegetarian soups like lentils, minestrone, or mushrooms.
- Spicy soups like chili, miso ramen, or tortilla.
- Curried soups like curry vegetables, coconut curry, or Thai curry.
Sourdough bread is a perfect accompaniment to all of these soups and can help add depth and flavor to the meal. It’s a great way to turn a simple soup into a more satisfying dinner.
What Cheese Goes with Sourdough Bread?
There are many different types of cheese that pair well with sourdough bread. Here are some cheeses to try:
- Sharp cheddar
- Aged Gorgonzola
- Smoked gouda
- Goat cheese
- Blue cheese
Pairing different types of cheese with sourdough bread can give you a delicious snack or appetizer. The tangy flavor of the sourdough complements many different cheeses, and the crunch of the bread helps to balance out the creamy texture of the cheese.
What Spread Goes Well with Sourdough Bread?
Sourdough bread pairs wonderfully with a variety of spreads. Whether you prefer sweet or savory, there is something for everyone. Here are some ideas for spreads to try with sourdough bread:
- Peanut butter
- Jelly or jam
- Apple butter
- Garlic butter
- Olive tapenade
Spread a thin layer of your favorite spread on top of sourdough bread for a delicious snack or appetizer. You can also try adding some fresh herbs like thyme or oregano to give your spread an extra boost of flavor.
What Dips Go Well with Sourdough Bread?
If you’re looking for a tasty snack or appetizer, try pairing sourdough bread with your favorite dip. Here are some dips to try:
- Spinach artichoke dip
- Caramelized onion dip
- Tzatziki sauce
- Hot artichoke dip
- Pimento cheese dip
When it comes to choosing a dip that pairs well with sourdough bread, there are some tips to keep in mind. First of all, make sure to choose a dip that is thicker in consistency. Thinner dips can be too runny and will not provide the same level of flavor and texture.
It is also a good idea to consider the flavor of the dip. Look for dips that have complementary flavors to sourdough bread, like creamy, tangy, or spicy flavors. This will help to bring out the best in both the dip and the bread.
Finally, look for dips that have some texture. For example, a dip with crunchy vegetables or nuts will provide a nice contrast to the soft texture of sourdough bread.
What Meat Goes with Sourdough Bread?
This list won’t be complete without mentioning the possibility of pairing sourdough bread with meat dishes. Here are some meats that pair especially well:
- Grilled or roasted chicken
- Roast beef
- Corned beef
- Pulled pork
These meats can be served as a sandwich, with some cheese and vegetables for extra flavor. Or, try serving them with a side of sourdough bread for an easy and satisfying meal. Adding some fresh herbs or spices can also help to bring out the flavors of the meat and bread.
To conclude, sourdough bread is a delicious and versatile food that can be enjoyed with a variety of accompaniments. For an appetizer or snack, pair it with different cheeses and spreads, such as goat cheese, brie, hummus, pesto, tapenade, or even nut butter.
You could also dip it in flavorful dips like tzatziki or green goddess dressing. For heartier meals, serve it alongside grilled meats like steak or salmon for a balanced and complete meal.
With all the options available for what to eat with sourdough bread, you’ll never run out of delicious possibilities!