Caramel is a sweet, versatile ingredient that can be used to make all sorts of delicious treats. From cakes and cookies to ice cream and even savory dishes, caramel adds an irresistible flavor and texture.
But what goes well with caramel? Here are a few ideas to get you started:
What Goes Well With Caramel?
Some foods that go well with caramel include fruits, popcorn, pretzels, ice cream, nuts and cookies. Caramel adds an irresistible flavor and texture to a variety of treats from cakes and cookies to savory dishes.
Fruits, such as apples, peaches, bananas and pears, are a natural pairing for caramel. Apples in particular are a classic combination with caramel, especially when dipped in a rich, sweet sauce.
Caramel also works wonderfully as a topping for slices of fresh fruit or can be used to create a decadent fruit salad. Peaches can be glazed with caramel for a delicious sweet treat, or grilled and served with a caramel sauce.
Caramel and banana are a winning combination, especially when added to pancakes or other baked goods. Pears work particularly well with caramel, especially when made into a sweet compote.
Popcorn is a classic snack that pairs perfectly with caramel. Not only does the light and crunchy texture of popcorn add a delightful contrast to the rich and creamy caramel, but it is also a great way to add some extra sweetness. Caramel popcorn can be made with just butter, sugar, and popcorn, or you can add your favorite toppings for an even tastier snack.
If you’re looking for something a bit more indulgent, you can also drizzle caramel sauce over the popcorn and add other mix-ins like nuts or chocolate chips. This is a great way to create a unique and delicious treat that is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
Pretzels and caramel are popular combinations that can be enjoyed in many different ways. From pretzel rods dipped in rich, creamy caramel to pretzel bites covered in a thick layer of sauce, this is an indulgent treat that everyone will love.
You can also make savory caramel pretzels with a sprinkle of salt or other seasonings. Or, for an even sweeter twist, top them off with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar or chocolate chips.
4. Ice Cream
Ice cream is one of the most popular treats that go well with caramel. The creamy texture and sweetness of ice cream pairs perfectly with the rich, decadent flavor of caramel sauce. Whether you’re making a classic sundae or an indulgent milkshake, adding a drizzle of caramel can take your dessert to the next level.
You can also use it to make homemade ice cream sandwiches and other frozen treats. Caramel adds an irresistible flavor and texture that will have everyone coming back for more.
Nuts are a great way to add some crunch and texture to any caramel treat. Whether you’re topping an ice cream sundae with walnuts or making a homemade caramel nut bar, nuts are the perfect addition. Almonds, cashews, and peanuts all pair wonderfully with caramel and can add an extra layer of flavor and crunch.
Who doesn’t love a good cookie? But when paired with caramel, cookies become even more irresistible. From crunchy ginger snaps to soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies, caramel and cookies are a match made in heaven.
You can use caramel to make traditional sandwich cookies or use it as a dip for freshly baked cookies. You can even add caramel to your favorite cookie recipes for an extra sweet flavor.
7. Graham Crackers
For those of us with a sweet tooth, graham crackers are an essential part of any dessert. But when topped with caramel and melted chocolate, they become even more irresistible.
Caramel and graham crackers are a popular combination that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. From s’mores to homemade bars, the options are endless. This is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth without overdoing it.
Are you looking for a way to add some sweetness to your morning coffee? Then try adding a little caramel. Caramel adds a rich, creamy flavor that pairs perfectly with coffee.
You can also make your own caramel-flavored latte by adding a few teaspoons of caramel syrup to your cup. Or, for a lighter and more refreshing drink, add a splash of caramel sauce to your favorite iced coffee.
9. Cinnamon Rolls
If you’re in the mood for something a little more indulgent, caramel and cinnamon rolls make an irresistible combination. Whether you’re using pre-made cinnamon rolls or making your own from scratch, adding a generous drizzle of caramel will take your breakfast to the next level.
You can also add other flavors like chocolate chips or walnuts to make the treats even more delicious. And if you’re feeling particularly adventurous, you can even make caramel-filled cinnamon rolls.
To every home baker, brownies are a baking staple. But caramel and brownies are an especially delicious combination that can’t be beaten.
Whether you’re making traditional brownies or something more creative like caramel-filled brownie bites, the possibilities are endless. And if you’re feeling extra indulgent, top your brownies off with a drizzle of caramel and a sprinkle of sea salt.
11. Pound Cake
Have you ever tried pound cake with caramel? If not, you’re missing out! Pound cake is an irresistible treat on its own, but when paired with caramel, it becomes even more decadent.
Whether you’re topping your pound cake with a layer of caramel sauce or baking the pound cake right in the caramel, the possibilities are endless. And if you’re feeling extra indulgent, add a scoop of ice cream and some chocolate chips on top.
What Fruit Goes With Caramel?
There are many fruits that go well with caramel, but some of the most popular ones are:
- Apples: Caramel and apples are a classic combination, especially in the form of caramel apples. The sweetness of the caramel pairs well with the tartness of the apples.
- Bananas: Caramel and bananas make a great combination for desserts like banana pudding or banana cake. The creamy texture of the banana pairs well with the gooeyness of the caramel.
- Pears: The delicate flavor of pears pairs well with the sweetness of caramel. Grilled pears drizzled with caramel make for a delicious dessert.
- Pineapples: Caramelized pineapple is a popular dessert in many cultures. The sweetness of the caramel complements the tartness of the pineapple.
- Oranges: Caramel can be used to make a glaze or sauce for oranges. The sweetness of the caramel helps to balance out the acidity of the oranges.
- Mangoes: Caramel and mango make for a delicious tropical dessert. The sweetness of the mango pairs well with the richness of the caramel.
What Flavor Goes Well With Caramel?
Caramel is a versatile flavor that pairs well with many other flavors. Some of the most popular flavors that go well with caramel include:
- Chocolate: The combination of caramel and chocolate is a classic one. The sweetness of the caramel complements the richness of the chocolate.
- Coffee: Caramel and coffee make for a delicious combination, especially in the form of caramel lattes or caramel macchiatos. The sweetness of the caramel helps to balance out the bitterness of the coffee.
- Vanilla: Caramel and vanilla make for a great flavor combination in desserts like caramel ice cream or caramel sauce for cake. The sweetness of the caramel complements the subtle flavor of the vanilla.
- Salt: The addition of salt to caramel creates a sweet and salty flavor that is irresistible. Salted caramel has become a popular flavor in recent years.
- Nuts: Caramel and nuts make for a great combination in desserts like caramel nut tarts or caramel nut clusters. The sweetness of the caramel pairs well with the crunchiness of the nuts.
- Fruits: As mentioned earlier, caramel goes well with many fruits like apples, bananas, pears, pineapples, oranges, and mangoes. The sweetness of the caramel helps to balance out the tartness of the fruits.
What Alcohol Goes With Caramel?
There are several types of alcohol that pair well with caramel, including:
- Whiskey: Caramel and whiskey make for a classic combination, especially in the form of a caramel whiskey cocktail. The sweetness of the caramel complements the smoky flavor of the whiskey.
- Rum: Caramel and rum make for a great combination in drinks like caramel rum hot toddies or caramel rum cocktails. The sweetness of the caramel pairs well with the smoothness of the rum.
- Brandy: Caramel and brandy make for a great combination in drinks like caramel brandy hot chocolate or caramel brandy cocktails. The sweetness of the caramel complements the richness of the brandy.
- Bailey’s Irish Cream: Caramel and Bailey’s Irish Cream make for a delicious combination in drinks like caramel Bailey’s hot cocoa or caramel Bailey’s cocktails. The sweetness of the caramel complements the creaminess of Bailey’s.
- Kahlua: Caramel and Kahlua make for a great combination in drinks like caramel Kahlua lattes or caramel Kahlua cocktails. The sweetness of the caramel complements the coffee flavor of the Kahlua.
Caramel is a versatile and delicious ingredient that can be used to make all sorts of treats. From cakes and cookies to savory dishes, caramel adds an irresistible flavor and texture. There are so many ingredients that go well with caramel such as fruits, popcorn, pretzels, ice cream, nuts and cookies.
I have provided 11 top ideas for what goes well with caramel – but the possibilities don’t end there. Think outside the box and explore other ingredients to find your perfect caramel combination.