Baked potatoes are a classic easy and delicious meal. Rather than turning on the oven and waiting 45 minutes or more for baked potatoes, you can make them in the microwave in just minutes. Microwaved baked potatoes come out fluffy on the inside with a crispy skin on the outside. They are tasty and satisfying!
Benefits of Microwave Baked Potatoes
Microwaving potatoes to bake them provides a few advantages over baking them in the oven:
- Speed – Microwaved baked potatoes cook in just 5-10 minutes. Oven baked potatoes take 45 minutes to an hour.
- Convenience – You don’t have to preheat the oven or wait around. Just pop the potato in the microwave.
- Energy efficiency – Microwaves use less energy than an oven to cook food. This makes microwaved baked potatoes an energy-efficient cooking method.
- Less hassle – There’s minimal preparation and clean up with microwave baked potatoes. You don’t have to line a baking sheet with foil or scrub burnt drippings out of your oven.
- Space saving – Microwaves have a smaller footprint than an oven, making them perfect for cooking in small kitchens.
How to Microwave Bake Potatoes
Microwaving potatoes is easy but there are a few tips for getting perfect results:
- Choose medium sized russet or Yukon gold potatoes – They have the ideal texture and starch content for baking. Size down if microwaving multiple potatoes.
- Wash and dry potatoes – Dirt can affect cooking and dried potatoes won’t steam as much.
- Prick potatoes several times with a fork – This allows steam to escape evenly during cooking.
- Brush with oil or rub with salt – For a crispy skin, brush with oil or rub with salt before cooking.
- Microwave on high for 5-10 minutes – Cook time depends on your microwave power and size of potatoes.
- Let potatoes stand 5 minutes after cooking – The insides will finish cooking from residual heat.
Microwave Baked Potato Cooking Times
Use this cooking time chart as a guide, adjusting as needed based on your microwave.
|Number of Potatoes||Cook Time (minutes)|
Toppings and Fillings
Baked potatoes are delicious on their own but you can also load them up with tasty toppings and fillings. Here are some delicious options:
- Butter and sour cream – These classic baked potato accompaniments add creaminess.
- Cheese – Cheddar, mozzarella, or Monterey jack all melt nicely over a hot potato.
- Salsa or pico de gallo – For a fresh, flavorful topping.
- Broccoli and cheese sauce – For a veggie loaded potato.
- Chili – Hearty topping for a meal in a potato skin.
- Bacon bits – Salty crunch on top.
- Caramelized onions – Sweet jammy onions pair well with potatoes.
- BBQ pulled pork or chicken – Turn your potato into a BBQ feast.
Get creative with healthy and indulgent toppings! The fluffy interior of a microwave baked potato makes the perfect vessel.
Tips for the Best Microwave Baked Potatoes
- Choose potatoes of uniform size so they cook evenly.
- Give potatoes a wash before cooking – dirt can affect cooking.
- Prick potatoes several times with a fork to allow steam to escape.
- Brush with oil or rub with salt for a crispy skin.
- Place potatoes in a circular pattern for even cooking.
- Let potatoes stand 5 minutes after cooking to finish cooking internally.
- Adjust cook times based on your microwave power.
- Wrap in a damp paper towel if reheating leftover baked potatoes.
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about microwave baked potatoes:
Can you overcook potatoes in the microwave?
Yes, microwaved potatoes can become dried out, shriveled, and rubbery if cooked too long. Follow recommended cook times and check potatoes at the minimum time.
Should you wrap potatoes in foil or wet paper towels?
Foil traps steam and can make potatoes gummy. A damp paper towel provides a little steam for more even cooking without making them soggy.
What setting do you use to microwave bake potatoes?
Cook potatoes on high (full power) to bake them thoroughly in the shortest time.
Do you need to prick potatoes before microwaving?
Yes, piercing potatoes allows steam to escape so they don’t explode. Prick potatoes several times all over with a fork.
Can you microwave a sweet potato?
Yes! Sweet potatoes bake very well in the microwave too. Cook for slightly less time than white potatoes.
Enjoy Perfectly Cooked Microwave Baked Potatoes
Microwave baked potatoes make an easy, healthy meal any night of the week. With this guide, you’ll be able to make baked potatoes with a fluffy interior and crispy skin in just minutes right in your microwave. Experiment with fun and nutritious toppings to create a different tasty potato dish every time.
Microwave Baked Potato
- 1 medium russet or Yukon gold potato 6-8 oz
- 1 tsp olive oil or butter optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings of your choice
- Wash and dry potato well. Prick several times with a fork.
- Brush lightly with oil or butter and season with salt and pepper (optional).
- Place potato directly on microwave turntable.
- Microwave on high for 5-10 minutes, until tender when pierced. Time will vary based on size.
- Remove potato and let stand 5 minutes.
- Slice open and fluff flesh with a fork. Top as desired and serve immediately.