Many modern Whirlpool microwaves come with a convenient automatic vent fan feature. This fan automatically turns on when the microwave is in use to vent steam and odors out of your kitchen. However, some homeowners find the constant humming of the fan distracting or unnecessary for their cooking needs. The good news is you can easily turn off the auto fan function on your Whirlpool microwave with just a few button presses.
Overview of Whirlpool Microwave Auto Fan
The auto vent fan feature is designed to:
- Protect the microwave components from steam damage during cooking
- Remove odors, smoke, and moisture from the air while using the microwave
- Cool the exterior of the microwave
By default, Whirlpool microwaves are programmed to turn on the vent fan automatically when the microwave starts operating. The fan generally runs for a few minutes after cooking is complete to clear out any remaining steam or odors.
While beneficial, some find the fan excessive or loud for basic microwave use. The fan can be programmed to stay off completely or to only operate during certain modes like sensor cooking.
Step-by-Step Guide to Turn Off Auto Fan
Turning off the auto fan only requires a few steps in the microwave’s control panel menu. Refer to your Whirlpool microwave’s user manual for the exact button names and menu options.
Access the Control Menu
- Press the “Control” or “Options” button on the control panel. This accesses the hidden control menu.
- Scroll using the arrow keys until you see a “Fan Control” or “Vent Fan” menu option. Press the number key to select it.
Change Auto Fan Setting
- Use the arrow keys to scroll through fan settings until you reach “Off.”
- Press the number key again to save this setting. This turns the auto fan completely off.
- To enable it only for sensor cooking, choose the “Sensor Only” option instead.
- Press the “Cancel” or “Escape” button to exit the menu.
That’s all there is to it! The microwave will no longer automatically activate the vent fan during cooking. The fan can still be turned on manually if desired by pressing the dedicated “Vent Fan” key during use.
Why Disable the Auto Fan?
Here are some of the benefits of turning off the automatic fan function:
- Reduce noise – The constant humming of the fan can be distracting, especially in open kitchens. Turning it off eliminates the background noise.
- Moisture is minimal – Not all cooking generates significant steam or odors. For basic reheating, the auto fan is overkill and unnecessary.
- Preserve humidity – Some cooking depends on trapped moisture, like proofing dough or simmering stews. The fan removes too much ambient humidity.
- User preference – Ultimately the auto fan is a convenience feature. If you don’t need it for your style of microwave cooking, it can simply be switched off.
Considerations Before Disabling Fan
While disabling the auto fan can improve the microwave experience, keep the following factors in mind:
- Monitor the interior temperature – The fan helps cool down the microwave. Without it, the inside may get hotter during prolonged cooking.
- Manually vent when needed – Odors and condensation can build up quickly, especially when cooking foods with a lot of moisture. Be ready to turn on the fan manually if needed.
- Clean vents regularly – With less air circulation, grease and debris can accumulate faster on the interior and vents. Check and clean monthly to prevent issues.
- Check food doneness – The lack of venting can trap steam and alter convection within the microwave. Keep an eye on food doneness and adjust cook times if needed.
As long as you account for the above factors, disabling the automatic fan should not cause performance issues and can make the microwave much quieter and convenient to use daily.
FAQ About Whirlpool Microwave Auto Fan
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about the Whirlpool microwave’s automatic vent fan function:
Q: How do I know if my Whirlpool microwave has an auto fan?
A: Most modern Whirlpool microwaves have an auto fan feature. Check your user manual or look for a “Vent Fan” key on the control panel.
Q: Will turning off the auto fan damage my microwave?
A: It should not damage the microwave, provided you manually vent and monitor the interior temperature when cooking foods with lots of steam.
Q: Can I program the auto fan duration?
A: Yes, you can customize the delay time before the fan shuts off after cooking on some models. Check your user manual.
Q: Does disabling the fan affect the microwave’s ventilation system?
A: No. Manually turning on the vent fan will still function the same, even with auto fan disabled. Only automatic operation is affected.
Q: If I disable the fan, will it save energy?
A: Only minimally. The vent fan uses less than 100 watts, so keeping it off will not significantly impact energy costs.
Get the Most From Your Whirlpool Microwave
The automatic vent fan is a useful feature on Whirlpool microwaves for most users. However, if the constant humming is disruptive or unnecessary for your cooking style, you can easily disable it. Just access the control menu, change the auto fan setting to “off,” and the microwave will no longer turn on the fan automatically during cooking.
Be aware that the interior may run hotter and moisture can build up faster without the fan. Overall, turning off auto fan operation can make the microwave quieter and better suited to basic reheating tasks. Just be diligent about manually venting when cooking very steamy or odorous foods.