If you’re a big fan of hamburgers, you might not resist buying hamburger buns. Since nowadays almost all grocery stores have bagged bread to cater to the need of their customers, it is typical for people to be buying bags upon bags of these buns.
However, if you bought too many and ended up freezing some for later use, you might need to thaw those frozen buns before using them. Traditionally, you need to take them out from the freezer and bring them to room temperature. But if you do not have enough time, can you thaw the frozen buns using your microwave?
Can You Thaw Frozen Hamburger Buns in Microwave?
You can defrost frozen hamburger buns in a microwave oven. However, you need to be careful when doing so since the wrong method can cause the bread to dry and harden or become soggy.
Here’s a quick guide on how to thaw frozen hamburger buns in the microwave oven:
Separate the buns from each other and place them on a microwave-safe plate. Cover the thawed buns with a paper towel or kitchen towel to keep them from drying out or getting soggy. Microwave on defrost mode for five seconds. Stop and flip the buns over and continue to microwave in the defrost mode for another five seconds.
How Can You Tell If Your Hamburger Bun Has Gone Bad?
Before we can learn how to thaw frozen hamburger buns in the microwave, you need to know how to determine if your hamburger bun has gone bad. The easiest way to tell if buns are spoiled is by smelling and looking at them.
If your hamburger buns have gone bad, they will most likely emit a foul smell. You can also look for mold on the bread itself. If there is no mold, but the bread smells sour, you should not use it.
In some cases, it’s easy to spot mold on bread. It appears blue in color, but sometimes it can also appear white which can be more difficult to notice. When you’re in doubt, it’s best to throw away the buns.
How to Defrost Frozen Hamburger Buns
Defrosting hamburger buns in the microwave can be tricky. If you do it the wrong way, you’ll end up with a stiff or soggy bun. But don’t worry, I’m here to show you how to do it right.
Here are the steps:
- Remove the hamburger buns from the Package.
- Pick a microwave-safe plate and place the bun on it.
- Place a paper towel or kitchen towel on top of the bun.
- Adjust microwave power to defrost setting and microwave in 10-second increments until the bun is thawed.
- Check if the hamburger bun is thawed by gently pressing it.
- Use the buns as desired.
1. Unwrap the Hamburger Buns and Separate Each Bun
First, you need to remove your hamburger buns from their packaging and separate the top and bottom of the bun. You need to separate them so that they can thaw evenly.
2. Place the Hamburger Buns on a Microwave-Safe Plate
Next, place the buns on a microwave-safe plate. Ideally, you’ll want to thaw one bun at a time to make sure that it is thoroughly defrosted. However, if you don’t have time to thaw one bun at a time, feel free to place a couple of buns. Just make sure that they are not overlapped.
3. Cover the Buns with a Paper Towel or Kitchen Towel
Since microwaves can be very powerful, you need to cover the buns with something that traps steam and moisture to make your buns heat up evenly and not dry out.
4. Microwave the Buns for 10 Seconds
When it comes to microwaving buns, you can set the microwave on defrost mode or medium power. Start by microwaving your hamburger bun for 10 seconds. Flip the bun halfway through.
5. Check if the Hamburger Buns are Thawed
When you think that your buns are already thawed, check if it is already soft and pliable. If it’s still cold in the middle, continue microwaving for another 10 seconds until it’s evenly warm and soft.
6. Toast or Grill The Buns Right Away
Once they’re thawed, you can put them on the stove or grill. Don’t wait too long before using them because bacteria can start to grow and spoil the buns. It’s advisable that you grill or toast them at a maximum of 2 hours after thawing.
How Long Does It Take To Defrost a Hamburger Bun in the Microwave?
Most hamburger buns are light and airy, so it shouldn’t take too long to defrost them. However, it also depends on how much you’re thawing.
A single bun usually takes about 15-20 seconds to defrost. If you’re thawing a whole pack of buns, expect them to be fully defrosted in about 1-2 minutes.
Tips To Thaw Frozen Hamburger Buns in Microwave
Here are some more tips to remember when you are defrosting hamburger buns in the microwave:
- While you leave the frozen hamburger buns on the kitchen counter to defrost, do not leave them uncovered, or they will go stale. If you use an airtight freezer bag, you don’t need to take out the hamburger buns. You can leave them in the freezer bag to defrost.
- When microwaving frozen hamburger buns, remember to do it bit by bit so that each bun thaws evenly. This will reduce the risk of having soggy or stiff buns.
- Before microwaving, always lay down a paper towel or kitchen towel on the plate. This will help to keep the buns moist.
- Avoid refrigerating the buns in the fridge as they tend to get stale.
1. How Do You Keep Hamburger Buns Warm?
The next thing you might want to know is how to keep hamburger buns warm. Here is the secret trick to keeping them warm: wrap the hamburger buns in tin foil. You can also put the buns in a basket and cover the whole basket with a tea towel.
2. Do Freezing Hamburger Buns Ruin It?
Freezing buns is actually one of the best ways to store hamburger buns. Properly stored, they can even last up to three months.
Here’s a short guide on how to freeze hamburger buns:
Wrap each individual hamburger bun tightly in separate plastic bags or wrap. Make sure to squeeze out all the air. Then, seal the bag and freeze the buns.