If you own a GE microwave, you may have noticed a small light on the control panel that says “Filter”. This light is a reminder to check and replace the charcoal filter that helps remove odors from the air that circulates through the microwave. The filter indicator light will turn on after about six months of normal use, or sooner if you use the microwave frequently or for long periods of time.
But how do you reset the filter indicator light once you have checked or replaced the filter? And how do you know if you need to replace the filter or not? In this blog post, we will answer these questions and give you some tips on how to maintain your GE microwave’s filter.
What Does Reset Filter Mean on My GE Microwave?
The reset filter message means that the charcoal filter in your GE microwave needs to be checked and possibly replaced. The charcoal filter is a part of the venting system that helps remove cooking odors from the air that passes through the microwave. The charcoal filter absorbs and traps the odors and prevents them from recirculating in your kitchen.
Over time, the charcoal filter can become dirty, clogged, or damaged. This can affect the performance of your microwave and cause unpleasant smells in your kitchen. That’s why GE microwaves have a built-in reminder system that tells you when to check and replace the charcoal filter.
The reset filter message is based on a timer that counts down from six months. Every time you use the microwave, the timer decreases by a certain amount depending on the duration and power level of your cooking. When the timer reaches zero, the reset filter message will appear on the display.
The reset filter message does not mean that your microwave is broken or malfunctioning. It is simply a helpful reminder to maintain your microwave’s venting system and keep your kitchen odor-free.
How to Reset the Filter Indicator Light
Resetting the filter indicator light is a simple process that only takes a few seconds. Here are the steps to follow:
- Locate the filter indicator light on the control panel. It is usually located near the clock display or the start button.
- Press and hold the filter indicator light button for about three seconds. You should hear a beep and see the light turn off.
- Release the button and check that the light is off. If it is still on, repeat the process until it turns off.
That’s it! You have successfully reset the filter indicator light on your GE microwave. You can now enjoy using your microwave without worrying about the filter.
How Do I Clean the Filter on My GE Microwave?
Cleaning the filter on your GE microwave is an easy and important task that can improve the performance and lifespan of your appliance. The filter helps to remove grease and odors from the air that circulates through the microwave. If the filter is dirty, it can reduce the airflow and affect the cooking quality.
There are two types of filters on GE microwaves: charcoal filters and grease filters. Charcoal filters are used for microwaves that are installed over the range and do not vent outside. Grease filters are used for microwaves that vent outside or have a recirculating vent.
To clean the filter on your GE microwave, you will need to follow these steps:
- Locate the charcoal filter behind the grill at the top of the microwave. You may need to remove two screws to access it.
- Push up on the filter to release it from the clips and pull it out.
- Replace the filter with a new one. You can order a replacement filter online or from a GE authorized parts dealer.
- Insert the new filter into the clips and push it down until it snaps into place.
- Reattach the grill and secure it with the screws.
- Locate the grease filter at the bottom of the microwave. It should slide out easily with a gentle pressure on the metal tab.
- Place the filter into a sink filled with hot water and a grease-cutting soap.
- Scrub the filter using a bristle brush or a scrubby sponge to help lift the caked on grease.
- Rinse the filter thoroughly and let it dry completely.
- Slide the filter back into the slot at the bottom of the microwave.
You should clean your GE microwave filter every three to six months, depending on how often you use your microwave and what types of foods you cook. A clean filter will ensure that your microwave operates efficiently and safely.
How to Check and Replace the Charcoal Filter
The charcoal filter is located behind the vent grille at the top of the microwave. To access it, you will need to remove the vent grille by unscrewing it or snapping it off, depending on your model. You can find detailed instructions on how to remove the vent grille in your microwave’s user manual.
Once you have removed the vent grille, you will see the charcoal filter. It is a rectangular piece of black foam that slides into a slot behind the vent. To check the condition of the filter, pull it out gently and examine it. If it is dirty, clogged, or damaged, you will need to replace it with a new one. You can order a replacement filter from GE’s website or from an authorized dealer.
To replace the filter, simply slide the new one into the slot and push it until it snaps into place. Make sure it is aligned correctly and securely. Then, reinstall the vent grille by screwing it or snapping it back on. You can now reset the filter indicator light as described above.
Tips on How to Maintain Your GE Microwave’s Filter
To keep your GE microwave’s filter in good shape and extend its lifespan, here are some tips to follow:
- Clean the filter regularly with mild soap and water. Rinse it well and let it dry completely before reinstalling it.
- Replace the filter every six months or sooner if you notice a decrease in performance or an increase in odors.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners, scouring pads, or metal utensils to clean or handle the filter. They may damage or scratch it.
- Do not operate the microwave without the filter installed. It may cause damage to the microwave or create a fire hazard.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your GE microwave’s filter works efficiently and effectively for a long time.
Why Does the Reset Filter Light Come On and Won’t Go Off?
The filter light comes on when the timer that counts down from six months reaches zero. The timer is based on the usage and power level of your microwave. Every time you use the microwave, the timer decreases by a certain amount. When the timer reaches zero, the filter light comes on to remind you to check and replace the charcoal filter.
The filter light does not mean that your charcoal filter is necessarily dirty, clogged, or damaged. It is possible that your filter is still in good condition and does not need to be replaced. The filter light is simply a helpful reminder to maintain your microwave’s venting system and keep your kitchen odor-free.
We hope this blog post has helped you understand how to reset GE microwave’s filter indicator light and how to check and replace the charcoal filter. By doing so, you can improve your microwave’s performance and reduce odors in your kitchen.