Tortilla chips are a delicious snack and can be easily heated up for immediate consumption. There are different methods for reheating tortilla chips, however, and each method has its own benefits and disadvantages. In this post, I will share with you simple steps on how to reheat tortilla chips in the microwave.
Is It Safe To Microwave Tortilla Chips?
Reheating tortilla chips in the microwave is completely safe. Many people prefer microwaving as it is quick and easy. In as little as 30 seconds, your tortilla chips can be heated up and enjoyed.
Here’s the short instruction on how to reheat tortilla chips:
To reheat your tortilla chips in the microwave, spread them on a microwaveable plate lined with paper towels and then cook them on high for 30 seconds. And that’s all! If you want to keep your tortilla chips even more crispy, go for using an oven instead. This way, the heat will be distributed evenly so that each chip is crispy.
However, convenience doesn’t mean quality. You should note that microwaved tortilla chips usually turn soggy and lose their crispiness. This is because microwaves work by heating the water molecules inside foods, which can make your tortilla chips soggy.
There’s a workaround to this, however. The way to prevent soggy chips is to remove as much moisture from the chips as possible.
To do this, spread your tortilla chips on a single layer on a plate lined with paper towels or parchment paper and then microwave it for 30 seconds. If you have many tortilla chips, don’t try to heat them all at once. Instead, heat them in batches so that the microwaves can easily penetrate through your chips.
How Long To Heat Tortilla Chips in The Microwave?
Whether you deep-fry or bake your tortilla chips, they usually take about 30 seconds to heat up in the microwave.
If you are reheating tortilla chips that have been fried, you can pour a little vegetable oil on the chips. This will help keep the chips crispier than if you skip this step.
How To Reheat Tortilla Chips in the Microwave
Microwaves provide quick and easy solutions to cooking needs. But they are not the best option for reheating tortilla chips. If you want your chips to retain their crispiness, you should put them in an oven.
Still, if you’re in a hurry, the microwave can also do a decent job at reheating tortilla chips. Just make sure to use the right method.
To heat up your tortilla chips in the microwave, follow these easy steps:
- Pick a microwave-safe plate and line it with a few paper towels or parchment paper.
- Spread the tortilla chips in a single layer on the plate.
- Microwave in 30-second increments.
- Once they’re crispy and hot, take them out of the microwave.
- Season them with salt, chili powder, or any other desired seasonings.
1. Take Paper Towels and Line the Plate
Take a microwave-safe plate and line it with paper towels or parchment paper. The paper towel will act as a moisture barrier and will soak up the water in your chips. If you don’t have paper towels, you can make a makeshift one from old towels.
To make a makeshift paper towel, simply fold an old towel and cut it into two or four pieces. If you have a sewing machine it’s best to hem the edges so they don’t fray.
2. Arrange in a Single Layer
Spread the tortilla chips in a single layer on top of your lined plate. This will help ensure even heating by the microwaves.
3. Microwave in 30-Second Increments
Microwave your chips for about 30 seconds and then check upon them. If you feel that they’re not done yet, continue to heat them in 30-second increments until they reach your desired crispness.
4. Take Them Out of the Microwave
Be careful when removing your tortilla chips from the microwave as they may be hot. You can use a mitt or thick towel to prevent burns.
5. Add Seasonings
If needed, sprinkle a little more salt on your tortillas. Now that your chips are reheated, you can enjoy them with your favorite dipping sauce. There are literally dozens of dips you can choose from. My favorite is nacho salsa dip, but guacamole is a close second.
Some More Tips for Reheating Tortilla Chips
Here are some more tips you should keep in mind when reheating tortilla chips in the microwave:
- Don’t try to microwave your chips on a plate that is too small. Make sure your plate can fit all of the tortillas without overlapping. This way, microwaves will be able to penetrate each chip and reheat it thoroughly.
- Avoid using the original bag or container of your tortillas. It can potentially cause a fire while microwaving.
- Microwave your tortilla chips only for a short amount of time and high power settings.
- Throw away any chips that have a bad smell or taste. This is a sign that the chips have gone bad and are no longer safe for consumption.
- Store leftover tortilla chips in an airtight container or an airtight Ziploc bag.
How Do You Fix Stale Tortilla Chips in the Microwave?
There are many ways to reuse stale tortilla chips. For example, you can use them to make chilaquiles or nachos. But if you’re looking to make guacamole, then you need to make the stale tortilla chips crispy again.
Why is My Tortilla Chips Stale? Your tortilla chips will become stale if they are not stored properly. When left in the open air for too long, stale tortillas lose their crispiness and become stale.
Fortunately, this issue is very easy to fix. All you need to do is follow the easy steps below.
- Lay your tortilla chips in a single layer on a microwaveable plate.
- Set your microwave to high for 30 seconds. Let the chips rest for one minute inside the microwave. This will let the heat distribute evenly, and the moisture evaporates.
- If your chips are still a little soggy or stale, continue heating them in the microwave in 10-second increments. Remove some of the chips that have become crispy before you continue microwaving the rest of them.
- Repeat this process until all of your chips are crispy again.
Reheating Your Tortilla Chips in the Oven
The best way to reheat tortilla chips is by heating them in an oven. This method also allows you to enjoy your chips at their crispiest level.
To use the oven, follow these steps:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lay the tortilla chips on a sheet pan.
- Bake your tortilla chips for 6 to 10 minutes or until they are crispy.
So can you reheat tortilla chips in the microwave? The answer is yes. But you should use caution when doing so as your chips may become soggy.
So now you know how to heat up your tortilla chips in the microwave and oven. Remember – if it smells bad or tastes bad, throw it out!