If you’re anything like me, the idea of cooking mussels in the microwave probably conjures up images of ruined dinners and failed attempts at classing up your meal. But I’m here to tell you that cooking mussels in the microwave are not only possible but also pretty darn easy.
So whether you’re looking to impress your dinner date or just want to make a quick and easy meal, read on for my easy guide on how to cook mussels in the microwave.
Can You Cook Mussels in the Microwave?
The answer is yes! Cooking mussels in the microwave is a quick and easy way to prepare them. There are two ways to cook mussels in the microwave – with the shells on or with the shells off. I recommend cooking them with the shells on, as they will cook better and it will be easier for you to know when they are done.
And if you’re worried about whether it’s safe to cook mussels in the microwave, don’t be. It’s safe to cook mussels in the microwave. Here’re some common concerns about microwaving seafood:
1. Will microwaving seafood make it tough?
This is a common concern with any type of seafood, but it’s particularly true of shellfish like mussels. After all, shellfish are already pretty tough, so it stands to reason that microwaving them would make them even tougher, right?
Wrong! As long as you don’t overcook them, microwaving mussels (or any other type of seafood) will not make them tough.
2. Can microwaving seafood cause it to lose its nutrients?
Another common concern is that microwaving seafood will cause it to lose its nutrients. This one is a little bit more understandable because it’s true that some nutrients are lost during cooking.
However, this loss is not unique to microwave cooking—it happens with all methods of cooking. In fact, according to one study, microwave cooking resulted in less nutrient loss than other methods like boiling or stir-frying.
3. Can radiation from microwaves cause cancer?
Finally, some people worry that microwaving their mussels will expose them to harmful radiation. This is a valid concern—after all, we know that microwave ovens emit radiation.
However, this radiation is non-ionizing, which means that it does not have the ability to break chemical bonds. In other words, it’s not going to cause your mussels (or you) any harm.
As you can see, there’s no need to worry about Microwaving your mussels. It’s quick, easy, and just as nutritious as any other cooking method!
How Long to Cook Mussels in the Microwave?
The cook time for microwaving mussels will vary depending on the number of mussels you’re cooking, the wattage of your microwave, and the power setting you use.
In general, I recommend cooking 2-3 pounds of mussels on high power for 30 -60 seconds. Check on the mussels after 30 seconds and cook for an additional 30 seconds if needed.
Step-by-Step Guide to Cooking Mussels In the Microwave
Now that you know all about microwaving mussels, it’s time to learn how to do it! This step-by-step guide will show you everything you need to know, from how to prepare the mussels to how to cook them.
1. Start by cleaning the mussels. Mussels are filter feeders, so they can often be quite dirty. To clean them, simply place them in a large bowl of cold water and let them soak for 20-30 minutes.
2. Next, remove the mussels from the water and place them on a clean kitchen towel. Using another clean kitchen towel, gently scrub the mussels to remove any dirt or debris. Then pulls out the “beard” of each mussel. The beard is a stringy mass that is attached to the shell—it’s not edible, so be sure to remove it.
3. Once the mussels are clean, place them on a large microwave-safe plate. Arrange them so that they are all placed around the outside of the plate, rather than in the center.
4. Cover the plate with a damp paper towel and cook on high power for 30 seconds. Check on the mussels and cook for an additional 30 seconds if needed. A sign that the mussels are cooked is that they will open up slightly and release some of their juices.
5. Once the mussels are cooked, remove them from the microwave and season with your favorite herbs and spices. My favorite way to season mussels is with garlic, lemon, and white wine. But feel free to get creative and experiment with different flavors!
Safety Tips for Cooking Mussels In The Microwave
When it comes to cooking mussels in the microwave, there are three main things you’ll need to keep in mind:
1. Buy the freshest mussels.
This may seem like an obvious point, but it’s important to make sure that your mussels are as fresh as possible before cooking them. Fresh mussels should have firm shells and should be free of any cracks or damage.
2. Use a microwave-safe plate.
Another important thing to keep in mind is that you’ll need to use a microwave-safe plate when microwaving your mussels. This will help to ensure that your food is cooked evenly and doesn’t become charred or burnt during the cooking process.
3. Microwave in short amounts of time.
When it comes to actually microwave your mussels, it’s best to do so in short bursts of time rather than all at once. This will help to prevent your food from becoming overcooked or dry.
How to Store and Reheat Microwave Mussels
Cooked mussels can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. To store them, first, make sure they are placed in a covered container. Then, place them in the refrigerator and allow them to cool completely before covering them.
If you want to keep your mussels for a longer period of time, you can freeze them. Mussels can be stored in the freezer for up to two months. To freeze them, first, wrap them tightly in tin foil. Then, place them in a freezer-safe bag or container and store them in the freezer.
When you’re ready to eat your mussels, you can use the microwave to reheat them. But in my experience, I don’t recommend this method as it can often make the mussels tough and chewy.
Instead, I recommend eating them cold topped with minced onion and a touch of white vinegar or a squeeze of lemon juice. This will help to brighten up the flavors and make them taste even better!
You can also add them to a pasta dish, salad, or soup. If you do decide to reheat your mussels in the microwave, make sure to do so in 15-second increments and covered them with a damp paper towel to prevent them from drying out.
What to Serve with Mussels
If you’re looking for the perfect pairing for your next batch of mussels, look no further! Here are the five best foods to serve with mussels, according to me.
1. Bread: Mussels and bread is a classic combo for a reason. The bread allows you to soak up all of the delicious juices and flavors from the mussels, making it a perfect pairing.
2. French fries: One of my favorite things to do is to order a big plate of fresh mussels and a side of french fries. It’s the perfect meal for any occasion!
3. Saffron rice: If you’re looking for something a little bit more elevated, then saffron rice is the way to go. The delicate flavor of the saffron pairs perfectly with the mussels, making it a dish that is sure to impress your guests.
4. Potato wedges: Another great option for soaking up all of the deliciousness from the mussels are potato wedges. They are also great for dipping in any sauce that may be left on your plate.
5. Spaghetti: And last but not least, one of my personal favorites – spaghetti! This may seem like an odd pairing, but trust me when I say that it works. The pasta provides a nice contrast to the richness of the mussels, making it a dish that is sure to satisfy your cravings.
Give microwaving mussels a try! This quick, easy, and nutritious cooking method is perfect for busy weeknights. And don’t worry—there’s no need to worry about radiation or nutrient loss. Just follow our step-by-step guide and you’ll be able to cook the perfect batch of microwave mussels in no time!