I don’t know about you, but I love kippers. I could eat them every day. But I’m not always in the mood to fry up some fish. That’s why I learned how to microwave kippers.
Now I can have my favorite breakfast food any time I want, without having to heat up my kitchen. If you’re looking for an easy way to cook your kippers, this is the tutorial for you. Let’s get started!
Can You Microwave Kippers?
Kippers are a type of smoked fish that is commonly eaten for breakfast. They can be cooked in a variety of ways, but many people believe that cooking them in the microwave is the quickest and easiest method.
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of cooking kippers in the microwave.
One of the main benefits of cooking kippers in the microwave is that it is very convenient. You don’t have to wait for a pan of water to boil or an oven to preheat. Simply put your kippers in the microwave and cook them on high for 2-3 minutes. That’s it!
Another benefit of cooking kippers in the microwave is that cleanup is very easy. There is no need to wash a frying pan or pot, and there is very little mess to clean up.
Cooking kippers in the microwave is also a healthier option than other methods such as grilling or baking. This is because the microwave preserves nutrients better than other methods of cooking.
Is It Safe to Microwave Kippers?
Now that we know some of the benefits of cooking kippers in the microwave, you might be wondering if it is safe to do so. The answer is yes! Microwaving kippers is perfectly safe as long as you follow a few simple guidelines.
1. Use a microwave-safe dish – This seems like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many people don’t think about it. Make sure whatever you’re heating up is approved for use in the microwave. If you’re not sure, check the labels on the bottom of the dish or reference the manufacturer’s website.
2. Add a splash of water or olive oil – This helps to evenly distribute the heat and prevents food from drying out or becoming overcooked in spots. Simply adding a few tablespoons of either liquid will do the trick.
3. Cook until it reaches 145°F – Use a meat thermometer to ensure that your food has reached a safe internal temperature before eating it. This will help to ensure that any bacteria present has been killed.
How Long Does It Take to Microwave Kippers?
It is important to note that kippers, whether fresh or canned, are delicate fish. As such, you don’t want to overcook them. Two to three minutes is usually sufficient time to heat them through without ruining their texture.
Do keep in mind that cooking times will vary depending on the wattage of your microwave and the number of kippers you are reheating. If you’re unsure, it’s better to err on the side of caution and cook them for a shorter amount of time.
You can always put them back in the microwave and cook them for an additional minute or two if they’re not quite heated through.
How to Cook Kippers in the Microwave
Let’s take a look at how to cook kippers in the microwave. This method is very simple and only requires a few minutes of your time.
- Gently peel away the main backbone, being careful not to break it. If you’re having trouble, use a sharp knife to make slit down the center of the fish.
- Place the kippers in a microwave-safe dish, add a splash of water or olive oil, and season with pepper to taste. Normally, you don’t need to add any additional salt as kippers are quite salty on their own.
- Cover the dish with a microwave-safe lid or plate and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully remove the dish from the microwave and use a fork to flake the fish.
- If the kippers are still a bit pink in the center, microwave them for an additional minute or two.
- Serve with lemon wedges, grilled tomatoes, and/or toast. Enjoy!
How to Store and Reheat Microwave Kippers
If you have any leftover kippers, they can be stored in the fridge for up to four days. Simply place them in an airtight container or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap.
To extend their shelf life, you can also freeze kippers. They will keep in the freezer for up to three months. Take note that the quality of the fish will decline the longer it is frozen. So, I don’t recommend freezing them for longer than two months.
When you’re ready to reheat your kippers, simply place them back in the microwave for a minute or two. This is the quickest and easiest way to enjoy your leftover kippers.
You can also reheat kippers in the oven, but this will take a bit longer. Simply preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and then bake your kippers for about ten minutes.
What to Serve with Cooked Kippers
There are so many different ways to enjoy kippers, you really are spoiled for choice. But if you’re looking for some inspiration, then here are a few ideas to get you started.
For breakfast, serve your kippers with scrambled or poached eggs. They’re the perfect pairing and will get your day off to a great start.
If you’re looking for something a bit more filling for lunch, why not mix your kippers with some spinach, bacon, and new potatoes? It’s a warm and tasty salad that will leave you feeling satisfied.
Alternatively, if you prefer something more traditional, serve your kippers with mash. It’s a classic combination that never fails to disappoint.
As you can see, microwaving kippers is a very simple and straightforward process. It is also a very convenient and healthy option. So, next time you’re in the mood for some fish, give it a try! I’m sure you’ll be impressed with the results.