Listen up, my friends! When it comes to summer eats, nothing hits the spot like a good ol’ hot dog. Whether you’re basking in the sun at the beach or grilling up a storm in your backyard, these juicy wieners are always a crowd-pleaser. And the best part? They’re easier to cook than taking candy from a baby!
Sure, you could throw ’em on the grill and wait for the perfect char, but have you ever considered using the mighty microwave? Don’t scoff just yet, my fellow foodies. I know what you’re thinking – “Microwaves are for wimps!” But what if I told you that microwaving hot dogs is a totally legit way to get your frankfurter fix in record time?
That’s right, I’m about to bust some serious hot dog myths and give you the lowdown on how to nuke those bad boys safely and deliciously. So get ready to enjoy your favorite summertime snack all year round, without breaking a sweat (or a bank)!
So, Can You Cook Hot Dogs in the Microwave?
You can cook hot dogs in the microwave, but there are some things you should know before you do. For example, you should always thaw them before microwaving them and make sure that they are not wrapped too tightly. Additionally, you should never cook more than eight hot dogs at a time. Finally, keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t explode.
Cooking hot dogs in the microwave is a perfectly acceptable way to enjoy this classic summertime treat. Here’s why:
For starters, microwaves are incredibly convenient. Let’s face it, not everyone has access to a grill or the time to fire one up. But almost everyone has a microwave. So whether you’re short on time or just don’t feel like dealing with the hassle of grilling, cooking your hot dogs in the microwave is a perfectly viable option.
Another reason why cooking hot dogs in the microwave is it is fast. Like, really fast. I’m talking about a cook time of less than a minute fast. So if you’re in a hurry or just don’t feel like standing over a hot grill, cooking your hot dogs in the microwave is the way to go.
The third reason cooking hot dogs in the microwave is a good idea is because you’ll have less of a mess to clean up. Grilling hot dogs can be a bit of a pain because you have to worry about things like flare-ups, grease splatters, and sometimes burned hot dogs. But when you cook them in the microwave, there’s no need to worry about any of that.
However, be aware that there are some cons associated with microwaving hot dogs. The first is it is easy to overcook them. This can happen if you’re not paying attention or if you microwave them for too long. When hot dogs are overcooked, they can become dry and rubbery.
The second con is that you can’t cook too many at once. If you try to cook more than eight hot dogs in the microwave, they may not cook evenly. This can lead to some hot dogs being overcooked while others are undercooked.
Is It Safe to Microwave Hot Dogs?
Yes, it is safe to microwave hot dogs. However, you should know that there is one safety concern associated with microwaving hot dogs.
Despite hot dogs being pre-cooked food, they can still harbor bacteria such as Listeria monocytogenes after it has been processed at the factory or if you don’t store them properly before cooking.
When these bacteria are present, they can cause food poisoning. The symptoms of Listeria poisoning include fever, headaches, nausea, and vomiting. Pregnant women and young children are especially susceptible to these bacteria as their immune systems are not as developed.
To avoid these bacteria, it is important to make sure that you cook your hot dogs properly. This means microwaving them until they are steaming hot all the way through. If you’re unsure if your hot dog is cooked properly, insert a food thermometer into the center of it. The temperature should be above 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
How Long Does It Take to Microwave Hot Dogs?
The cook time for microwaving hot dogs will vary depending on how many you’re cooking and the power of your microwave.
The following are some general guidelines for cook times:
- 1 hot dog: 40 seconds
- 2 hot dogs: 1 minute – 1 minute 15 seconds
- 3-4 hotdogs: 1 minute 30 seconds – 2 minutes 30 seconds
- 5-6 hotdogs: 3 minutes – 3 minutes 30 seconds
- 7-8 hotdogs: 4 minutes – 5 minutes
These guidelines are for microwave ovens with a power between 800 and 1,000 watts. If your microwave is less powerful, you will need to cook your hot dogs for a longer time. Conversely, if your microwave is more powerful, you will need to cook them for a shorter time.
How to Cook Hot Dogs in the Microwave
Here are some general instructions for cooking hot dogs in the microwave:
- Take one hot dog out of the package and wrap them individually in paper towels.
- Place the wrapped hot dogs into the microwave.
- Cook on high for 40 seconds.
- Check the hot dog to see if it is cooked through. If it isn’t, cook in 15-second intervals until it is.
- Remove the hot dog from the microwave and let it sit for 30 seconds before eating.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Should You Defrost Hot Dogs Before Microwaving them?
Yes, you should defrost your hot dogs before microwaving them. This is because microwaving frozen hot dogs can lead to uneven cooking. Some parts of the hot dog will be cooked while others will remain frozen.
To defrost your hot dogs, simply place them in the refrigerator overnight or for at least four hours before cooking. If you’re in a hurry, you can also microwave them on the defrost setting in 30-second intervals until they are thawed. Or you can place them in a Zip-loc bag and submerge them in cold water for about 30 minutes.
Once your hot dogs are defrosted, you can cook them according to the instructions above.
Do Hot Dogs Explode in the Microwave?
Hot dogs can explode in the microwave due to the steam that is created as the filling heats up. This steam has to escape somehow and will often do so by bursting through the hot dog’s casing.
To avoid your hot dogs exploding, make sure to puncture them a few times with a fork before microwaving. This will allow the steam to escape and will prevent your hot dogs from exploding.
Another way to avoid exploding hot dogs is to microwave in short intervals. This will allow the hot dogs to cook evenly without the steam build-up that can cause them to explode.
If in a rare case your hot dog does explode in the microwave, don’t worry. It is harmless and will not cause any damage to your microwave.
Additional Tips for Microwaving Hot Dogs
Here are a few additional tips to keep in mind when microwaving hot dogs:
- If you’re cooking more than one hot dog, make sure to space them out evenly on the plate or in the microwave-safe container. This will ensure that they cook evenly.
- For extra flavor, you can soak the paper towels that you use to wrap the hot dogs in chicken broth before microwaving.
- If you’re looking for a healthier option, consider picking hot dogs that are made without filers or artificial ingredients.
- Use a good-quality paper towel to wrap your hot dogs in. The quality of the paper towel will determine how well it absorbs the moisture from the hot dog and will also affect how evenly it cooks.
How to Store and Reheat Microwaved Hot Dogs
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. When you’re ready to eat them, simply reheat them in the microwave following the cooking time specified above.
You can also freeze leftover hot dogs. Place them in a freezer-safe bag or container and store them for up to two months. When you’re ready to eat them, defrost them overnight in the refrigerator or for at least four hours. Then, reheat them in the microwave according to the instructions above.
Keep in mind that you should never reheat hot dogs more than once. This is because the process of reheating can cause bacteria to form and can make the hot dogs unsafe to eat. Furthermore, multiple reheats can ruin the texture and taste of the hot dog.
Condiment and Side Dish Ideas for Microwaved Hot Dogs
There are endless possibilities when it comes to condiments and side dishes for hot dogs. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Baked Beans + Potato Chips: This combination is the perfect mix of salty and sweet. The savory baked beans complement the crispy potato chips perfectly. Plus, it’s a dish that’s easy to make ahead of time, which is always a bonus.
2. Sauerkraut + Brown Mustard: If you’re looking for a tangy twist on the traditional hot dog, this pairing is for you. The sharp flavors of the sauerkraut are nicely balanced by the richness of the brown mustard. Yum!
3. Baked Beans + Crumbled Bacon: Another great option for those who like their hot dogs with a side of salty goodness. The smoky flavor of the bacon pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the baked beans. Mmm…
4. BBQ Sauce + Fried Onions: Sweet, savory, and downright delicious, this combo is sure to please any hot dog lover. The key here is to make sure you get a good quality BBQ sauce – no one wants watered-down ketchup on their hot dog!
5. Buffalo Sauce + Blue Cheese Dressing: This pairing is for the adventurous eater. The bold flavors of the buffalo sauce are mellowed out by the creaminess of the blue cheese dressing, making for a surprisingly delicious combination. Don’t knock it ’til you try it!
So, cooking hot dogs in the microwave is a good idea for a few reasons: they’re fast, there’s little cleanup, and they can be cooked in batches. However, it’s important to be aware of the safety concerns associated with microwaving hot dogs and to make sure they’re cooked all the way through. Once you’ve done that, enjoy your delicious hot dogs with all your favorite toppings and side dishes!