It was a cold and frosty day, and I really didn’t feel like going out. But then I remembered that I had all the ingredients to make scones in the microwave. And so I decided to give it a try.
It was so easy to make them, and they turned out really well. In just a few minutes, I had delicious and warm scones that were perfect for a winter day. They were also really affordable, which was great.
So if you’re looking for an easy and convenient recipe, be sure to try making microwave scones! You won’t be disappointed.
Can You Make Scones In The Microwave?
The answer is yes, you can make scones in the microwave! This is a quick and easy way to make scones. Although the result won’t be exactly the same as if you made them in the oven, they will still be delicious.
The main difference is that microwave scones will be more dense and moist than oven-baked scones. But they will still be fluffy and light. And they will still have that characteristic scone flavor that we all love.
Is It Safe To Make Scones In The Microwave?
There are many myths about microwaves and the dangers of microwaving food.
One common myth about microwaves is that they cause cancer. However, this is not true. Microwaves do not emit radiation that is harmful to human health. In fact, microwave ovens are regulated by the FDA to ensure that they emit safe levels of radiation.
Another common myth about microwaves is that they cause food to lose all of its nutrients. However, this is also not true. Microwaving actually preserves more nutrients than other cooking methods, such as boiling or frying.
So, is it safe to make scones in the microwave? Yes! Microwaving is a safe and easy way to cook scones. So go ahead and enjoy your scones without worry!
How Long Does It Take To Make Microwave Scones?
Many people are unsure of how long it actually takes to make microwave scones. The answer, of course, depends on several factors, including the wattage of your microwave and the number of scones you are making.
In general, however, you can expect to spend 4-5 minutes making 6 scones in a 900-watt microwave. This includes time for preparation as well as cooking.
How To Make Microwave Scones
Follow these simple steps to make delicious microwave scones:
1. Plain flour
This recipe for microwave scones calls for plain flour. And that’s because this type of flour is perfect for making scones. It has a high gluten content, which means that it will produce a light and fluffy texture.
2. Baking powder
Baking powder is a leavening agent that will help your scones to rise. It’s important to use the right amount, so be sure to follow the recipe closely.
Salt is a key ingredient in any recipe, and it’s no different here. It helps to balance out the sweetness of the sugar and enhances the flavor of the scones.
Butter is what gives scones their rich and buttery flavor. Be sure to use unsalted butter so that you can control the amount of salt in the recipe.
Sugar is what makes scones sweet. You can use any type of sugar that you like, but I prefer to use caster sugar.
Milk is used to bind all of the ingredients together and create a soft dough. You can use any type of milk that you like, but I prefer to use whole milk.
The egg is used as a binding agent and helps to give the scones a slightly crispy top.
There are many substitutions that you can make when making microwave scones.
- Plain flour for rice flour or almond flour: If you are looking for a gluten-free option, then you can substitute plain flour with rice flour or almond flour.
- Baking powder for buttermilk or cream of tartar: If you want to add a little extra flavor to your scones, then you can try using baking powder in place of buttermilk or cream of tartar.
- Butter for olive oil or margarine: If you are looking for a healthier option, then you can try using olive oil or margarine in place of butter.
- Sugar for maple syrup or coconut sugar: If you want to change the flavor profile of your scones, then you can try using maple syrup or coconut sugar instead of regular sugar.
Yield: 12 scones
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 90g butter
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 185ml milk
So, you want to make some delicious microwave scones? Well, you’ve come to the right place!
- First, you’ll need to gather up all of the ingredients. Then, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Take a moment to rub the butter into the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix together the egg and milk, and add it to the crumbed mixture. Make sure to add enough liquid to form a stiff dough.
- Now it’s time to roll out the dough. Get it to about 1cm thickness, and then use a knife to cut out rounds.
- You should be able to get twelve scones out of the dough. Once you’ve cut out the scones, it’s time to microwave them.
- Arrange six scones at a time on a plate, lined with double-thickness absorbent paper.
- Set the timer for 2-3 minutes and microwave at 100%. The scones are done when they’re no longer doughy. Once they’re out of the microwave, let them sit for 1 minute before removing them from the plate.
Voilà! You now have some warm and delicious microwave scones that are perfect for any occasion!
There are 75 calories, 9.5 grams of carbs, 3.6 grams of fat, and 1.3 grams of protein per 20 g serving.
Scones are best eaten fresh, but they can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week. If you want to freeze them, then they will last for up to 2 months.
How To Reheat Scones In The Microwave
If you find yourself with some leftover scones, then don’t worry! They can easily be reheated in the microwave.
Simply place the scone on a plate, cover it with a damp paper towel, and microwave at 50% power for 15-20 seconds. And that’s it! You now have a delicious and warm scone that’s ready to be enjoyed.
What To Put On Scones
There are so many different things that you can put on your scones! Here are some of my favorite scone toppers:
1. Classic jam and cream
Jam and cream: the perfect pairing. There’s nothing quite like a freshly baked scone smothered in sweet strawberry jam and creamy clotted cream.
The combination of sticky, sweet jam and rich, velvety cream is utterly delicious, and it’s no wonder that this classic pairing is so popular.
2. Blueberry and maple syrup
A scone is not a scone unless it is properly topped. That’s where blueberry and maple syrup come in. Together, they make the perfect scone topper.
The blueberry adds a touch of sweetness and tartness, while the maple syrup brings out the scone’s natural flavors. Plus, the two together look simply beautiful.
3. Lemon burst (lemon curd, whipped cream, and pomegranate seeds)
Lemon curd, whipped cream, and pomegranate seeds are a match made in heaven. The tartness of the lemon curd pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the whipped cream, and the pomegranate seeds add a nice pop of texture
4. Rocky road (Nutella, mini marshmallows, and coconut chips)
The mini marshmallows add a fun and festive touch, while the coconut chips provide a nice crunch. Together, these three ingredients make the perfect scone topping.
5. Honeycomb crunch (ricotta, fresh honeycomb, and chopped pistachios)
This is a topping for those with a sweet tooth. The ricotta and honeycomb are both naturally sweet, while the chopped pistachios add a nice crunch.
The honeycomb also gives the scone a beautiful golden color, making it look as good as it tastes.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe for microwave scones! They are perfect for a quick and easy snack, and they can be customized to your liking. Be sure to give them a try the next time you’re in the mood for something sweet or savory. Thanks for reading!