Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable that is full of beneficial nutrients, including vitamins C and K, potassium, and fiber. It can be eaten cooked or raw, making it a versatile addition to your diet. If you want to cook cabbage in the microwave, it’s important to do so safely to avoid overcooking or undercooking the cabbage.
Here’s a guide on how to cook cabbage in the microwave, including tips on how long to cook it and how to store it afterward.
Can You Cook Cabbage in the Microwave?
Yes, you can cook cabbage in the microwave. In fact, it’s one of the best ways to cook this leafy green vegetable as it helps to preserve more of its nutrients compared to other methods such as boiling.
Another benefit of cooking cabbage in the microwave is that it’s a quick and easy way to make this healthy vegetable. Simply place the cabbage in a microwavable dish with a little water, cover it, and cook on high for 8-9 minutes.
And if you’re worried about cabbage losing its crunch, don’t be! Microwaving cabbage helps to retain its crispness. This is because, with the microwave, you’ll have much better control over the cooking time and temperature.
Last but not least, steaming cabbage in the microwave is a great way to keep calories in check. Unlike roasting or sauteeing which require the use of oils or butter, microwaving cabbage is a fat-free cooking method.
So, if you’re looking for a healthy, quick, and easy way to cook cabbage, the microwave is the way to go!
Is It Safe to Microwave Cabbage?
The good news is that microwaving cabbage is perfectly safe. Don’t believe the rumors that microwaves cause cancer or leach nutrients from food. These are unfounded and there is no scientific evidence to support these claims.
That being said, there are still some things you need to keep in mind when microwaving cabbage.
- First, wash the cabbage thoroughly before cooking it and remove the outer leaves. They are tough and can carry residual dirt and pesticides.
- Second, always use a microwave-safe steamer or bowl to cook the cabbage in the microwave. Do not use non-microwave-safe containers as they can leach chemicals into the food.
- Third, make sure to add a little water to the dish before microwaving it. This will help to create steam and keeps the cabbage from drying out.
- Fourth, always use a lid or plate to cover the dish while microwaving. This will help to ensure that the cabbage cooks evenly.
With these safety tips in mind, microwaving cabbage is a perfectly safe way to cook this healthy vegetable.
How Long Does It Take to Cook Cabbage in The Microwave?
The cooking time for cabbage in the microwave will depend on the size, type of cabbage you’re using, and the wattage of your microwave.
However, as a general rule, it will take 6-9 minutes to cook 2 lbs of cabbage in the 1000-watt microwave. f you’re cooking a larger amount of cabbage or if you’re using a lower-wattage microwave, you may need to increase the cooking time by a few minutes.
As always, it’s better to err on the side of caution and start with a shorter cooking time. You can always put it back in the microwave for a few more minutes if it’s not cooked through.
How to Cook Cabbage in The Microwave
Now that you know how to cook cabbage in the microwave safely, it’s time to learn how to do it.
- Start by washing the cabbage thoroughly and removing the outer leaves. Then, cut the cabbage into slices.
- Next, place the cabbage in a microwavable dish and add a little water.
- Cover the dish and cook on high for 6 minutes for chopped cabbage or 8-9 minutes for cabbage wedges.
- Remove the cabbage from the microwave and check to see if it’s cooked through. If not, cook for an additional minute or two.
- Once the cabbage is cooked, remove the dish from the microwave and drain any excess water.
- Then, season the cabbage with salt and butter to taste or any other seasonings you like.
How to Store and Reheat Microwave Cabbage
If you have leftovers, microwave cabbage can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. To store it in the fridge, place the cabbage shallow airtight container before putting it in the fridge.
If you want to further extend the shelf life of your microwave cabbage, you can freeze it for up to 5 months. To freeze it, place the cabbage in a freezer-safe container or zip-lock freezer bag and remove as much air as possible.
When you’re ready to eat the cabbage, simply reheat it in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes or until it’s heated through. You can add a little water to the dish if needed to prevent the cabbage from drying out.
Alternative Methods of Cooking Cabbage
While microwaving cabbage is the quickest and easiest way to cook this vegetable, it’s not the only way. If you don’t have a microwave or you prefer to cook your cabbage another way, there are several alternative methods you can use.
You can cook cabbage on the stovetop by boiling, steaming, stir-frying, or braising it. You can also cook it in the oven by roasting or baking it.
No matter which method you choose, cooking cabbage is a simple and easy process. And, with so many different methods to choose from, there’s sure to be one that’s perfect for you.
What to Serve with Microwave Cabbage
Cabbage is a versatile dish that can be served with a variety of different foods. The following are some ideas of what to serve with microwave cabbage:
- Any main dish such as chicken and salmon. Salmon goes particularly well with cabbage. The fatty fish pairs nicely with the crunchy vegetable.
- Grilled steaks. Steak and cabbage is a classic combination. The smokiness of the grilled steak pairs perfectly with the slightly bitter taste of cabbage.
- BBQ ribs. Another great option for pairing with microwave cabbage is BBQ ribs. The sweet and savory flavors of the BBQ sauce complement the cabbage perfectly.
- Cucumber salad. A refreshing cucumber salad is the perfect side dish for microwave cabbage. The coolness of the cucumber offsets the heat of the cabbage.
- Tomato soup. A bowl of tomato soup is also a great option for pairing with microwave cabbage. The acidity of the tomato soup helps to cut through the richness of the cabbage.
And that’s it! With these simple instructions, you’ll be able to cook cabbage in the microwave quickly and easily. Give it a try the next time you’re in a hurry and see for yourself how convenient it is.