I was really craving some shortbread biscuits the other day, but I didn’t want to spend the time preheating the oven and then baking them.
So, I decided to try making them in the microwave instead. And it worked! These microwave shortbread biscuits are quick and easy to make, and they turned out just as delicious as the traditional version. Plus, there’s hardly any mess to clean up afterward.
So if you’re looking for a quick and easy dessert that doesn’t require an oven, then I definitely recommend giving these microwave shortbread biscuits a try.
Yield: 8 large wedges
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup sliced blanched unsalted almonds.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- ¼ teaspoon table salt.
Be careful, these cookies are addictive! Here’s how to make them:
- Mix all the ingredients in a food processor until the dough is smooth.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and use your hands to knead it into a ball.
- Flatten the dough into an 8-inch square glass dish.
- Take a fork and prick the top of the dough.
- Prepare a piece of baking paper and lay the dough on top of it.
- Set the timer for 3-4 minutes and microwave the dough on high.
- Once it’s done, take it out of the microwave and sprinkle the sugar on top.
- Let it cool before cutting into squares or triangles.
The all-purpose flour is a key ingredient in this recipe because it helps to make the biscuits smooth and easy to chew. It also gives them a nice, light texture.
All-purpose flour is made from hard wheat, which contains more protein than soft wheat. This makes all-purpose flour a good choice for baking bread and other yeast-based products. The high protein content also helps to give all-purpose flour a chewy texture.
The sugar in this recipe helps to give the biscuits a crispy outer crust and a soft, fluffy center. It also enhances the flavor of the butter and almonds.
Sugar has been getting a lot of bad press lately, with people claiming that it’s the root cause of obesity and diabetes. But what many people don’t know is that sugar also has some amazing health benefits.
Here are just a few of the health benefits of sugar:
- Sugar can help to boost your immune system.
- Sugar can help to increase your energy levels.
- Sugar can help to improve your mood.
- Sugar can help to improve your cognitive function.
The butter in this recipe helps to give the biscuits a rich and creamy flavor. It also makes them nice and moist.
Butter is a dairy product that is made from the cream of milk. It is a good source of vitamins A, D, and E. Butter also contains saturated fats, which are known to raise cholesterol levels.
Blanched unsalted almonds
The blanched unsalted almonds add a crunchy texture and a nutty flavor to the biscuits. They also help to make them more filling.
Almonds are a good source of fiber, protein, and healthy fats. They also contain vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
The vanilla extract gives the biscuits a sweet and aromatic flavor. It also helps to round out the other flavors in the recipe.
Vanilla extract is made from the seeds of vanilla beans. It is a good source of antioxidants and has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties.
The table salt helps to bring out the flavor of the other ingredients in the recipe. It also helps to regulate the moisture content of the dough.
Table salt is made from the mineral halite. It is a good source of sodium, which is essential for maintaining fluid balance in the body.
Although this recipe calls for certain ingredients, many substitutions can be made depending on what is available or your personal preference.
For example, you could use all-purpose flour instead of wheat flour, brown sugar instead of white sugar, or butter instead of margarine. You could also use any type of nut in place of the almonds.
Or if you don’t have vanilla extract on hand, you could try using almond extract or another type of flavoring extract. The possibilities are endless, so feel free to experiment and see what works best for you.
Shortbread cookies are best stored in a dry, airtight container. They will stay fresh in this type of container for up to one week. If you want to extend the shelf life of your shortbread biscuits, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
For even longer storage, shortbread cookies can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. Use a freezer-safe container or wrap the cookies in an airtight freezer bag.
When you’re ready to eat them, thaw the cookies at room temperature or in the microwave. Simply place the frozen cookies on a microwave-safe plate and heat them on high for 30-60 seconds.
5 Topping Ideas For Your Shortbread Biscuits
What’s the best part about shortbread biscuits? The toppings, of course! Here are 5 delicious ideas to try next time you’re in the mood for a sweet treat.
1. Melted chocolate – for a decadent twist on a classic, try melting some chocolate and pouring it over your shortbread biscuit. Top with a sprinkle of sea salt for an extra special touch.
2. Hundreds and thousands – for a fun and festive topping, try covering your biscuit with hundreds and thousands. You could even go one step further and add a layer of chocolate or cream to really take things up a notch.
3. Chocolate sprinkles – if you’re a chocoholic, then this one’s for you! Simply top your biscuit with chocolate sprinkles (or any other kind of sprinkle, for that matter).
4. Cream and strawberries – for a summery twist, top your shortbread biscuit with fresh cream and strawberries. Delicious!
5. Jam – last but not least, one of the simplest (and tastiest) toppings you can try is a jam. Any flavor will do, but we recommend raspberry or strawberry. Yum!
If you’re looking for an easy and delicious recipe to make in the microwave, then look no further than this shortbread biscuit recipe. The ingredients are simple and can be substituted depending on what is available or your personal preference. So why not give it a try? I promise you won’t be disappointed.
1. Can I make these cookies without a food processor?
Yes, you can make the dough by hand. Just rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Then stir in the sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Add the almonds and knead the dough until it comes together.
2. Why do you put fork holes in shortbread?
Pricking the dough with a fork creates vents that allow steam to escape during microwaving. This prevents the shortbread from becoming too puffy or cake-like.
3. Why are my shortbread cookies hard?
There are a few reasons why your shortbread cookies might be hard. It could be that you’ve used too much flour, didn’t cream the butter and sugar together enough, or microwaved the cookies for too long.