I don’t know about you, but I love a good meatloaf recipe. They’re quick and easy to make, and always delicious. But sometimes, I just don’t have the time to make one the traditional way. That’s where this microwave meatloaf recipe comes in.
This recipe is perfect for those times when you want a home-cooked meal, but don’t have the time or energy to cook it the traditional way. It only takes 15 minutes to make, and you only need a few simple ingredients. Plus, it’s versatile enough that you can use it for any type of meal.
So if you’re looking for an easy and delicious microwave meatloaf recipe, then this is the one for you.
One of the most important ingredients in this recipe is the egg. It helps to bind all of the other ingredients together and gives the meatloaf a delicious, rich flavor. They also add moisture, helping to keep the meatloaf from drying out.
Dry bread crumbs
The bread crumbs are another important ingredient in this recipe. They help to absorb the moisture from the egg and ground beef. They also add a bit of texture and body to the meatloaf.
Onion soup mix
When it comes to microwave meatloaf, there is no denying that the onion soup mix is what gives it that classic flavor. This savory ingredient takes an already delicious dish and kicks it up a notch, adding an extra layer of flavor that is sure to please even the most discerning palate.
Salt and pepper
Microwave meatloaf needs salt and pepper for the same reason that any other dish does- to bring out the flavors of all the other ingredients and to add a bit of heat. Without salt and pepper, your meatloaf will be bland and unappetizing. So don’t forget to add a bit of both to this recipe.
Of course, no meatloaf recipe would be complete without ground beef. This is the ingredient that gives the dish its name. Ground beef is a versatile protein that can be used in a variety of dishes. It’s perfect for this recipe because it’s easy to cook and has a great flavor.
Sugar, brown sugar, and cider vinegar
The sugar, brown sugar, and cider vinegar are what give this recipe its sweet and tangy flavor. These ingredients work together to create a delicious glaze that is perfect for topping off your meatloaf.
Sometimes, you might not have all of the ingredients on hand to make it. That’s where substitutions come in. There are a variety of different ways that you can substitute different ingredients in this recipe to create a dish that is perfect for your needs.
For example, if you don’t have ketchup on hand, you can use BBQ sauce instead. Or if you’re out of bread crumbs, you can use rolled oats instead. The possibilities are endless, so feel free to get creative and experiment with different combinations until you find one that suits your taste.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
For best results, look for ground beef with a high fat-to-beef ratio. A 60/40 or 70/30 blend will produce a moist, flavorful meatloaf that is cooked through evenly. Avoid leaner blends, as they are more likely to dry out during cooking.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, 2 tablespoons ketchup, mustard, bread crumbs, onion soup mix, salt, and pepper.
- Crumble in ground beef, and mix until well blended.
- Shape into a loaf and place on a shallow microwave-safe dish.
- Cover with a lid and microwave on HIGH for 10-12 minutes.
- Check for doneness with a meat thermometer until it reads 160°.
- Drain any fat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining sugar, brown sugar, vinegar, and ketchup.
- Drizzle over the top of the meatloaf.
- Cover and microwave for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
The Benefits of Eating Homemade Meatloaf
Store-bought meatloaf just can’t compare to the real thing. Not only does homemade meatloaf taste better, but it also comes with a host of benefits that you just can’t get from the frozen section of your local grocery store. Here are five reasons why you should make your own meatloaf:
1. Source of Protein
Meatloaf is a great source of protein. Protein is an essential part of a healthy diet and can help with everything from muscle growth to weight loss. A typical serving of meatloaf contains around 27 grams of protein, making it a great option for those looking to increase their protein intake.
2. Fully Stomach
There’s nothing worse than being hungry an hour after you eat. With meatloaf, you’ll be satisfied for hours. The combination of protein and fat in meatloaf will keep you feeling full and prevent you from snacking between meals.
3. Improve Muscle
In addition to being a great source of protein, meatloaf can also help improve muscle mass. The amino acids in meat help build and repair muscle tissue, making it an ideal food for athletes or anyone looking to bulk up.
4. Avoid Anemia
Anemia is a condition caused by a lack of iron in the blood. Symptoms include fatigue, weakness, and shortness of breath. Meatloaf is a good source of iron, which can help prevent anemia.
5. Source Of Energy
Last but not least, meatloaf is a great source of energy. The protein and fat in meatloaf provide sustained energy throughout the day, making it perfect for busy families or anyone on the go.
The best way to store meatloaf is in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you do not have an airtight container, you can wrap the meatloaf tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. In the fridge, meatloaf will last for 3-4 days.
You can also freeze meatloaf for up to 3 months. Just be sure to wrap it tightly in freezer-safe wrapping so that it does not get freezer burn.
When you are ready to eat the frozen meatloaf, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat it in the microwave. Do not try to reheat frozen meatloaf directly from the freezer as this will make it tough and dry.
What to Serve with Microwave Meatloaf
Microwave meatloaf is a versatile dish that goes well with a variety of sides. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Dinner Rolls: Nothing goes better with meatloaf than a nice, hot dinner roll. Plus, they’re the perfect size for sopping up all that delicious gravy. Yum!
2. Garlic Bread: This classic side dish is the perfect way to add some extra flavor to your meatloaf. Just be sure to have some extra napkins on hand to wipe away the garlic-y goodness from your fingers and face.
3. Cornbread: If you’re looking for something a little different, why not try cornbread? It’s the perfect accompaniment to any comfort food, and it’s sure to please even the pickiest eaters. Just be sure to add some honey or jam to really take it over the top.
4. Mashed Potatoes: Another classic side dish that goes great with meatloaf is mashed potatoes. They’re creamy, dreamy, and oh-so-satisfying. Plus, they make the perfect canvas for that delicious gravy. So go ahead and pile it on!
5. Potato Wedges: If you’re in the mood for something a little more robust, try serving your meatloaf with potato wedges. They’re crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, and they pair perfectly with just about anything. So go ahead and dig in!
This easy microwave meatloaf recipe is perfect for busy weeknights. It’s quick and easy to make, and it’s sure to please even the most discerning palate. So don’t hesitate to give it a try today!