Yak chews have become a popular natural treat for dogs in recent years. Made from the milk of Himalayan yaks, these chews provide dogs with long-lasting enjoyment while supporting dental health by promoting chewing. As with any chew treat, though, yak chews eventually become smaller and smaller as your dog works away at them. But before you throw those last little nubbins away, you may be wondering — can you microwave yak chews?
The answer is yes, you can absolutely microwave the remaining pieces of yak chews to give them new life as crunchy, cheese puff-like treats for your dog. With just a bit of microwave magic, those leftover chew bits can transform into light, puffy morsels that dogs love.
Read on to learn more about how and why to microwave yak chews into irresistible dog treats.
Why Microwave Yak Chews?
Chewing on yak chews provides dogs with enrichment and enjoyment. The chews occupy them for long periods of time while helping clean teeth and gums. However, once the chew gets down to a small nub, it’s no longer as appealing or satisfying for dogs to continue chewing on it.
This is where microwaving comes in handy. Popping the end piece of a yak chew into the microwave causes it to puff up into a cheese puff-like snack that’s like an entirely new treat for your dog. Microwaving yak chews essentially gives them new life, transforming what would otherwise head to the trash into something surprising and fun for your pup. It extends the value you get out of each yak chew.
Dogs love the light, airy texture of the puffed-up yak chews. The microwave process gives the remaining chew pieces a crispy outside and tender, melty interior that makes them even tastier. Just like kids enjoy cheese puff snacks, dogs delight in these hand-me-down puffed yak chew treats. It’s a great way to get a little more mileage out of yak chews before needing to purchase new ones.
How to Microwave Yak Chews
Microwaving yak chews is a simple process, but there are a few tips to follow for best results:
- Use small pieces only. Only microwave leftover end pieces that are about 1 inch long or smaller. Larger pieces may not puff up evenly.
- Start with 30 seconds. Begin by microwaving the yak chew bits for 30 seconds and check the progress. Add additional 10-15 second bursts as needed.
- Expect expansion. The yak chew pieces will expand to 2-3 times their original size. Make sure not to overcrowd the microwave.
- Watch carefully. Stay nearby so you can stop the microwave before any burning occurs. Yak chews are milk-based and can burn quickly.
- Let cool before serving. Once puffed up, let the yak chew treats cool for 2-3 minutes before giving to your dog. The chews retain heat well.
- Add water for extra puff. For an even puffier result, try soaking the yak chew ends in warm water for 5-10 minutes before microwaving. The water helps create steam inside.
- Adjust cook times as needed. Depending on your microwave wattage, you may need to experiment with cook times to get the ideal puffy texture.
Follow these tips, and in less than a minute you can transform those last little leftover yak chew pieces into exciting new treats for your dog. It’s like a doggie magic trick!
Step-By-Step Microwaving Instructions
Here is a simple step-by-step guide to microwaving yak chews for dogs:
- Select a small yak chew nubbin, around 1 inch or less.
- Optional: Soak in warm water 5-10 minutes to pre-hydrate.
- Place yak chew piece in microwave-safe bowl or on a plate.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Carefully remove from microwave using oven mitts.
- Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Check size and texture. Piece should be expanded but not burned.
- If more puffing is desired, microwave in 10-15 second bursts, checking frequently.
- Remove promptly once puffed up to avoid burning.
- Once cooled, give the crunchy puffed yak chew to your dog as a treat.
- Store any extra puffs in an airtight container for later.
- Enjoy your dog’s delight in these microwave magic treats!
In just a few easy steps, those leftover yak chew bits become fun popcorn-like snacks your dog will love. Feel free to get creative and experiment with soak times and microwave times to achieve the perfect puff.
Tips for Microwaving Yak Chews
Microwaving yak chews takes a little trial and error to get the timing right. Here are some top tips to help:
- Cut small pieces. Work with 1-inch or smaller end pieces for best results. Bigger chunks may not puff evenly.
- Soak first (optional). Soaking in warm water before microwaving helps the chews puff more.
- Go slow. Start with 30 seconds and add 10-15 seconds at a time until puffed.
- Prevent burning. Watch closely. Yak chew milk content can scorch quickly. Stop microwaving immediately if burning aroma.
- Allow cooling. Let puffs cool for 2-3 minutes before giving to dog to avoid mouth burns.
- Adjust as needed. Tweak soak and cook times based on your microwave wattage and size of chews.
- Store extras. Keep spare puffs in an airtight container. They stay fresh for several days.
Follow these tips and with a little trial and error, you’ll become a pro at microwaving perfect yak chew puffs!
Frequently Asked Questions
Many dog owners have questions about microwaving yak chews. Here are some common FAQs:
Are microwaved yak chews safe for dogs?
Yes, as long as they are not overcooked. Properly microwaved yak puffs are completely safe for dogs to eat and enjoy.
How long should I microwave yak chews?
Start with 30 seconds and add 10-15 seconds at a time until puffed up. Times vary based on microwave wattage and size of chews. Watch closely to avoid burning.
Should I soak the yak chews first?
Soaking in warm water for 5-10 minutes before microwaving can help the chews expand more, but is optional.
What happens if I over microwave the yak chews?
Overcooking can lead to burning, charring, and hardness. Stop microwaving immediately if you smell burning. Discard any overcooked pieces.
How do I know when they’re done microwaving?
Yak chews are ready when expanded to 2-3 times original size and are light/crispy in texture. Tap with a fork to test.
How long do the puffed yak chews last?
Properly stored in an airtight container, microwaved yak puffs stay fresh for up to a week. Keep any uneaten portions sealed.
Can I microwave other types of dog chews?
Yak chews work best, but you can try microwaving small chunks of other hard cheese-like chews. Results may vary.
Enjoy the Whole Yak Chew
Yak chews keep dogs happily occupied for hours, providing an enjoyable chewing experience while promoting better dental health. As yak chews diminish in size, you no longer have to throw the remaining nubs away. With just a quick spin in the microwave, those little leftovers become surprising cheese puff snacks your dog will love.
Microwaving yak chews helps stretch each chew to its maximum potential. Follow the simple instructions to transform those last little pieces into airy, puffed-up treats. Adjust soak and cook times as needed to perfect the ideal puffy texture your dog will delight in. Soon you’ll be a pro at microwaving yak chews into popcorn-like bites that breathe new life into this popular dog chew.