Vaseline is the kind of product you can use for almost anything. Need to moisturize your skin? Slather on some vaseline.
Want to remove your makeup? Grab a jar of vaseline. Need to fix a squeaky door? Dab a bit of vaseline on the hinges. It’s truly an all-purpose product!
But what about microwaving vaseline? Can you microwave vaseline, and if so, what are some uses for microwaved vaseline?
So, Can You Microwave Vaseline?
Yes, you can microwave vaseline. The microwave is the perfect tool if you’re looking for a quick and easy way to melt vaseline. And you don’t have to worry about the safety of microwaving vaseline; microwaving vaseline is actually quite safe.
Vaseline is made with petroleum jelly, which is a nonpolar substance. Nonpolar substances are not susceptible to microwaves because they do not have electric dipoles.
Electric dipoles are created when the electrons in a molecule are not evenly distributed. This creates a charge imbalance that allows microwaves to polarize the molecules and create heat.
However, vaseline is made with petroleum jelly, which has evenly distributed electrons. So you don’t have to worry that microwaving vaseline will create a fire or release dangerous chemicals into the air.
Why Would You Want to Microwave Vaseline?
Microwaving vaseline is one of the quickest and easiest ways to melt it down so it can be used for other purposes. For example, microwaving vaseline can help to create a smooth and evenly melted base for lip gloss or lip balm.
Let’s say you want to make your own lip balm at home. You could melt the vaseline in the microwave and then mix in some essential oils, colorants, and flavorings to create a completely customized lip balm.
How To Melt Vaseline In The Microwave
Melting vaseline in the microwave is a quick and easy process. Just place the desired amount of vaseline in a microwave-safe container and heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Once melted, the vaseline can be used for a variety of purposes.
How To Make a Lip Balm with Vaseline Using the Microwave
Just like your skin, your lips are susceptible to becoming dry and chapped.
And just like your skin, one of the best ways to moisturize and protect your lips is with a lip balm made from vaseline (or petroleum jelly).
Unlike other lip balms, which often contain harsh chemicals and fragrances, vaseline is incredibly gentle and safe for even the most sensitive skin.
In addition to being an excellent moisturizer, vaseline helps prevent chapping by creating a barrier that seals in moisture. Follow these simple steps to make your own lip balm at home using vaseline and a few other simple ingredients.
- Prepare a container for the lip balm. This can be a small jar or tin.
- Fill the container with vaseline.
- Empty the contents of the container into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Put the bowl in the microwave and heat in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the vaseline is melted.
- Once melted, add any desired essential oils, colorants, or flavorings.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared container and allow it to cool completely.
- Once cooled, the lip balm is ready to use!
Here are some ideas for essential oils, colorants, and flavorings that can be used to customize your lip balm:
- Small amounts of new lipstick: This can be used to add color to the lip balm. Don’t reuse old lipsticks that have been used a lot, as they may contain bacteria.
- Cocoa powder: Have you ever wished your lips tasted like chocolate? Well, now you can make that dream a reality with cocoa powder! Adding cocoa powder will also give the lip balm a slight brown tint.
- Candy powder: If you’re looking for a way to add extra sweetness to your self-made lip balm, you can always add some candy powder.
- Mint extract: Looking for a way to add a little minty flavor to your self-made lip balm? Just add a few drops of mint extract! This extra ingredient will make your lips tingle and feel refreshed.
- Strawberry or blueberry drink crystals: If you’re looking for a way to add some flavor to your self-made lip balm, you can always try using strawberry or blueberry drink crystals.
- Honey: Spoken like a true honey-lover! Honey is indeed a great way to add both flavor and moisture to your self-made lip balm. Not only is it a natural humectant, meaning it helps lock in moisture, but it also has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties.
Are There Any Other Ways To Melt Vaseline?
If you don’t have a microwave, you can also melt vaseline using a double boiler.
A double boiler is simply two pots – one that fits snugly inside the other. The bottom pot is filled with water and then brought to a boil. Once the water is boiling, the vaseline is placed in the top pot, where it will melt from the heat below.
If you don’t have access to a microwave or double boiler, you can also melt the vaseline base ingredients by placing them in a plastic bag and then floating the bag in hot water until melted.
After the vaseline has been melted, simply cut off a tiny piece of the bag to drain out the liquid. Be careful not to pour out too much, as it can be difficult to control the flow.
So, can you microwave vaseline? Yes, you can! Microwaving is the easiest and quickest way to melt vaseline so that it can be used in lip balms, lotions, and other skincare and beauty products.
When microwaving vaseline, be sure to use a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the vaseline is melted.
Once melted, add any desired essential oils, colorants, or flavorings. Pour the mixture into a container and allow it to cool completely, and you’re finished! Your very own customized lip balm, lotion, or skincare product awaits.