Texas toast, a garlic-and-butter-infused thick-sliced white bread, is a beloved staple in many households. Its crispy exterior and soft, fluffy interior make it the perfect vessel for soaking up sauces and toppings. But can you prepare this tasty bread in the microwave?
The short answer is yes! With just a few simple steps, you can easily microwave Texas toast to golden, melt-in-your-mouth perfection.
Read on to learn everything you need to know about microwaving this versatile snack.
How to Microwave Texas Toast
Microwaving Texas toast is a quick and effortless way to prepare it anytime you’re craving that delicious crunch.
- Place 1-2 slices of Texas toast on a microwave-safe plate. Do not overlap or stack the slices.
- Microwave the Texas toast on high power for 30-45 seconds. The time may vary based on your microwave wattage.
- Carefully remove the plate from the microwave. The toast will be very hot!
- If desired, brush the top of the Texas toast lightly with olive oil or melted butter. This gives it an even crispier texture.
- Return the plate to the microwave and heat for an additional 15-30 seconds, until the toast reaches your desired level of crispness.
And that’s it! In just a minute or two, you’ll have piping hot, crispy Texas toast to enjoy.
Microwave Power Tips
- Use 50% microwave power for a more even, gentle heating.
- Add time in 15 second intervals to avoid overcooking.
- Allow the Texas toast to cool slightly before eating to avoid burning your mouth!
- Double the cook time for frozen Texas toast, checking frequently.
What Makes Texas Toast So Special?
Texas toast stands apart from regular sliced bread thanks to a few key differences:
- Thicker cut. Texas toast slices are generally double the thickness of normal sandwich bread. This allows the interior to remain soft and fluffy.
- Added flavor. Traditional Texas toast is made with extra butter, garlic, and herbs baked right into the bread. This gives it a rich, indulgent taste.
- Crisp exterior. Thanks to its thickness, Texas toast gets an ultra-crispy crust when cooked while keeping the middle soft.
- Great for dipping. The combination of textures makes Texas toast perfect for soaking up sauces, gravies, and soups.
- Versatile. From breakfast to dinner, Texas toast can be topped with anything from garlic butter to pizza sauce.
No wonder Texas toast has become such a beloved pantry staple! Its addictive crunch and flavor make it ideal for a quick and tasty snack any time of day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions about cooking Texas toast in the microwave? Here are some common FAQs answered:
How long does it take to microwave Texas toast?
For 1-2 slices of Texas toast, microwave on high for 30-45 seconds. Add more time in 15 second increments if needed.
Can you microwave frozen Texas toast?
Yes! Double the microwave time for frozen Texas toast, checking often to avoid overcooking.
What happens if you microwave Texas toast too long?
Overcooked Texas toast can dry out and become crunchy throughout. It may also expand, split, or develop hard spots from cooking unevenly.
How do you soften Texas toast after microwaving?
To soften, wrap Texas toast in a damp paper towel and microwave for 10-20 seconds. Check frequently to avoid sogginess.
What setting should I use to microwave Texas toast?
For the fastest, most even heating, use your microwave’s high (100%) power setting.
Can I microwave the Texas toast garlic bread from the freezer aisle?
Yes, frozen Texas toast garlic bread can be carefully microwaved. Follow package instructions and use 50% power or less.
What are the best microwave-safe plates for Texas toast?
Ceramic, glass, and high-heat plastic plates all work well. Avoid metal plates which can damage the microwave.
Get Creative with Microwaved Texas Toast
Now that you know it’s quick and easy to make Texas toast in the microwave, why not get creative with toppings and recipes? The possibilities are endless for customizing this versatile snack.
For a savory snack, try these delicious ideas:
- Breakfast sandwich – Fry an egg and slice of ham or bacon. Sandwich between two pieces of microwaved Texas toast for a handheld breakfast.
- Pizza toast – Top with marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella, and pepperoni slices. Microwave until cheese is melty.
- Cheesy garlic bread – Mix together melted butter, garlic powder, parsley, and parmesan cheese. Spread over Texas toast before microwaving.
- Mini deli sandwiches – Layer sliced turkey, ham, roast beef or other deli meats with cheese slices. Microwave until meats are warmed through.
- Bruschetta toast – Top toasted bread with fresh tomato, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
For something sweet, microwave your Texas toast and top it with:
- Cinnamon sugar – Just mix together cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle liberally over melted butter on Texas toast.
- Chocolate hazelnut spread – Microwave spread briefly to soften before spreading over toast. Top with banana slices.
- Apple pie filling – Spoon cinnamon-spiced apple pie filling over buttered toast. Microwave until warm and gooey.
- S’mores – Top toasted bread with chocolate and toasted marshmallows.
- Fruit and cream cheese – Top with softened cream cheese and fresh sliced strawberries or other fruit.
The possibilities are endless! Microwaving Texas toast is the perfect shortcut for a warm, comforting snack any time of day.
So next time you get a craving for that crispy, garlicky bite, look no further than your microwave. In just minutes, you can be enjoying piping hot Texas toast, customized with your favorite flavors.