A Chipotle burrito is a monstrous meal that can be loaded with rice, beans, meat, salsa, and cheese. For many people, it is a weekly treat worth waiting in line for! But what about microwaving one? Can you microwave a Chipotle burrito to get the same freshness and flavors?
Can You Microwave Chipotle Burrito?
You can microwave a Chipotle burrito if you want to quickly heat it up before consuming it. Be sure to cover the burrito in a slightly damp paper towel before microwaving to keep it from drying out.
Here’s a short guide on microwaving a Chipotle burrito:
Unwrap the burrito and remove any toppings that don’t need to be microwaved. Center the burrito on a microwave-safe plate. Cover the burrito with a damp paper towel and microwave for 1 minute. Take it out of the microwave, flip and microwave the other side for 1 minute.
Although the microwave provides the quickest and easiest way to heat up a Chipotle burrito, it might not be the best way to retain the texture and aroma of the burrito.
If you want to keep the texture of the burrito as close as you can to what it tasted like when first served, I recommend using an oven or a stove instead. What if you want to reheat more than one burrito at a time? The grill is the best way to do it.
As you can see, you have plenty of options to reheat a Chipotle burrito. But regardless of whatever way you choose to reheat your burrito, remember that your goal is to heat the burrito through while retaining the original texture and consistency of the burrito.
One slight mistake, and you can end up with a dry burrito. So before attempting to reheat your Chipotle burrito, make sure that you read the following tips first.
Things to Know before Reheating Chipotle Burrito
Before you go ahead and try reheating your Chipotle burrito, you need to know first how to store it properly.
If you’re planning to eat your Chipotle burrito later, you need to know how to store it properly. As with all cooked food, it should be stored within 2 hours. Food that is left out for longer than this at room temperature increases your risk of food-borne illness.
One useful tip is to wrap your burrito in either a plastic wrap or a sheet of aluminum and then freeze it. If you have more than one burrito, you may want to place them on a sheet pan before freezing.
After it’s fully frozen, you can remove the burritos from the sheet pan, place them in a sealed bag, and put them back into the freezer.
Using this method, your Chipotle burrito will be good for about three months.
But what if you want to eat your Chipotle burrito sooner? If you’re planning to eat it within the next day or two, you can refrigerate it. Don’t forget to wrap it in either plastic wrap or aluminum foil before putting it in the fridge.
But unlike with freezing, you don’t need to put it in a sealed bag. This will keep your burrito safe to eat for up to 3 days.
Now that you know how to properly store your Chipotle burrito let’s go ahead and learn different ways you can reheat it to make it crispy and delicious once more.
How To Reheat a Chipotle Burrito in a Microwave
If you’re in a hurry and need to reheat your Chipotle burrito fast, using a microwave is the quickest and easiest way to do it. While this method might not produce the best results, it does get the job done. Are you ready?
Here’s how to do it:
- Remove the burrito from any wrappings.
- Carefully unwrap the burrito and remove any cold toppings, if applicable.
- Place the burrito on a microwave-safe plate or bowl and carefully refold it.
- Cover the burrito with a slightly damp paper towel to prevent it from drying out. Another option is to sprinkle a few drops of water on the burrito.
- Microwave on high for about 1 minute. Flip the burrito over and replace the damp paper towel.
- Heat it on the other side for another minute.
- Temp your burrito in the center to make sure it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- If your burrito hasn’t reached 165 degrees, you can continue microwaving at 30-second intervals until it reaches the proper temperature.
- Once the Chipotle burrito has been heated through, remove it from the microwave and add back the cold ingredients.
Other Methods to Reheat a Chipotle Burrito
Aside from microwaves, you have plenty of other options to reheat your Chipotle burrito. Here are some of these options:
Reheating a Chipotle Burrito in the Oven
Ask any chipotle fan, and they will tell you that burritos taste best when heated in the oven. The reason is that a burrito heated in the oven will come out crispy and not soggy. So if you want your burrito to taste its best, this is definitely one method that you should try.
- Preheat your oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Loosely wrap the burrito in aluminum foil to allow the steam to escape.
- Place the wrapped burrito on a baking sheet and place it into the oven.
- Cook for about 30 minutes.
- Use a meat thermometer to make sure the burrito’s internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wear your oven mitts and remove the burrito from the oven.
- Unwrap the aluminum foil and enjoy!
Reheating a Chipotle Burrito on the Stove
If you don’t have an oven or you don’t have much time, reheating your Chipotle burrito on the stove is an option to consider. All you need is a pan or a skillet and a little bit of oil.
Here’s what you do:
- Place a pan or skillet on the stove and turn your burner to medium heat.
- Add a thin layer of oil to the pan.
- Place the burrito in the pan and reheat for about 5 minutes.
- Next, flip the burrito and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, remove the burrito from the pan and enjoy!
Reheating a Chipotle Burrito on the Grill
If you have a bunch of leftover Chipotle burritos, this is one method you can use to reheat them all at once.
Although most people would not think of grilling Chipotle burritos to reheat them, it’s actually a great option. Grilled Chipotle burritos will come out tasting delicious and with a smoky flavor you can’t get from other methods.
Here’s how to do it:
- Light one-half of the grill and place your burrito wraps on the unlit side of the grill.
- Grill the burritos for about 15 minutes.
- Flip and grill the other sides for another 15 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, move your burritos to the lit side of your grill.
- Grill for several minutes until you see a nice grill mark on your burrito.
- Temp your burritos in the center to make sure they have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the burritos from the grill and enjoy!
1. What is Chipotle Burrito?
A chipotle burrito is a Mexican dish that typically consists of a flour tortilla wrapped around a number of fillings, including meat, vegetables, and other ingredients. They are often by hand, but they can also be eaten with a fork and knife.
2. What are the Differences between Chipotle Burrito and Bowl?
Most people often get confused with Chipotle burrito and Bowl. The biggest difference between these two is the way they are served. A Chipotle burrito is traditionally wrapped in aluminum foil and mostly eaten by hand.
Meanwhile, the Chipotle bowl is served in a bowl, and it is mostly eaten with a fork and knife.
3. Can you eat a Chipotle burrito the next day?
If you plan to eat your Chipotle burrito the next day, you must first ensure that it is refrigerated immediately within 2 hours of cooking. If the room temperature is above 90 degrees Fahrenheit, you must refrigerate it maximum within 1 hour of cooking.
These are the safest time frame before bacteria start to grow on your Chipotle burrito and cause food poisoning. Once refrigerated, you can keep the burrito for 3 days.
If you’re looking for more information on microwaving other Chipotle products, be sure to check out our other articles. We have guides on microwaving Chipotle bowls and other menu items.