Panda bowls have become an extremely popular option for enjoying delicious Asian cuisine, both for dining in and taking out. Their distinctive black and white design makes these bowls easily recognizable. But an important question that many Panda Express fans have is: are Panda bowls microwave safe?
The good news is that Panda bowls are indeed microwave-safe. These bowls are specifically designed for reheating food, making them suitable for both dine-in and takeout orders.
Why Panda Bowls Are Microwave-Safe
Panda bowls are constructed from materials that can withstand microwave heating without releasing harmful chemicals or melting. Specifically, they are made from:
- Polypropylene plastic – This BPA-free plastic can tolerate temperatures up to 212°F without deforming, making it [microwave-safe].
- Melamine – Melamine bowls do not melt or warp in the microwave. The melamine makes the bowls more durable.
- Porcelain – High-quality porcelain bowls are entirely microwave-safe, as porcelain is non-porous and does not interact with microwave radiation.
The combination of these materials allows Panda bowls to be safely used for reheating food in the microwave. The bowls’ design and composition ensure heat-resistance and stability.
When reheating food in a Panda bowl, follow these tips:
- Do not microwave an empty bowl – Only microwave bowls with food or liquid inside, as empty bowls can overheat and warp.
- Use lower power settings – Opt for 50-70% power to gently reheat food without overcooking. High heat can damage the bowl.
- Don’t exceed heating times – Heat in 1-2 minute intervals, checking frequently. Avoid going over 5 minutes.
- Allow resting time – Let the heated bowl sit for 1-2 minutes before handling, as it will be very hot immediately after microwaving.
- Check for damages – Inspect bowls for cracks or warping before reuse. Discard any damaged bowls.
Following these precautions allows you to safely reheat foods in Panda’s microwave-safe bowls.
|✅ Do||❌ Don’t|
|Use 50-70% microwave power||Microwave an empty bowl|
|Heat in 1-2 minute intervals||Exceed 5 minutes of heating|
|Allow bowls to rest before handling||Handle hot bowls immediately|
|Inspect for damages before reusing||Use damaged or warped bowls|
Ideal Foods to Microwave in Panda Bowls
Panda bowls work great for reheating a wide variety of Asian-inspired foods. Some great options include:
- Entrees – Kung pao chicken, orange chicken, chow mein, etc. Cover with a paper towel or lid.
- Rice – Fried rice, steamed rice, rice bowls. Add a bit of water to prevent drying out.
- Soups – Egg drop soup, hot and sour soup, ramen soups. Partially cover to retain moisture.
- Sides – Steamed/sauteed veggies, potstickers, crab rangoon. Cover with a damp paper towel.
- Sauces – Sweet and sour sauce, teriyaki sauce, chili sauce. Stir periodically.
The bowls allow these foods to be conveniently reheated from refrigerated or room temperature states. Their microwave-safe design ensures no harmful leaching during the heating process.
Microwave Safety Tips
To safely reheat any foods in the microwave, keep these general guidelines in mind:
- Use microwave-safe containers only. Avoid metal and plastic containers not labeled for microwave use.
- Arrange food in a ring at the edge of the container, leaving the center empty. This promotes even heating.
- Cover foods to retain moisture and prevent splattering. Use microwave-safe lids or paper towels.
- Allow standing time before consuming. This finishes the cooking process and avoids burns.
- Stir foods and check temperature before eating. This ensures there are no cold spots.
- Rotate dishes periodically for uniform heating. Microwave hot spots can lead to uneven cooking.
Following these steps promotes microwave safety for all foods, including when reheating in Panda’s microwavable bowls.
FAQs About Microwaving Panda Bowls
Are the black plastic Panda bowls microwave-safe?
Yes, the black plastic bowls provided in Panda restaurants are BPA-free polypropylene plastic which can tolerate microwave heating. They are specifically designed to be microwaved.
Can Panda bowls go in the oven?
No, Panda bowls should only be used for microwave reheating. The materials are not suitable for high oven temperatures. They will warp under oven broiling or baking.
Do the patterns on Panda bowls make them unsafe for microwaves?
No, the panda image patterns on the bowls are microwave-safe and do not impact their ability to be reheated. The printed designs contain no metallic compounds.
How long can food be microwaved in a Panda bowl?
Foods should only be heated in 1-2 minute intervals, not exceeding 5 total minutes. Extended microwave times can potentially damage the bowls. Always check food temperatures before eating.
Can hot liquids like soup or tea be microwaved in Panda bowls?
Yes, soups and other hot liquids can safely be reheated in Panda bowls using proper microwave precautions. Caution should be taken when handling the hot bowl afterwards.
The Convenience of Microwavable Panda Bowls
Panda Express diners can rejoice knowing that their distinctive Panda bowls are entirely microwave-safe. The bowls allow you to quickly and easily reheat leftover foods at home or the office. Just be sure to follow recommended microwave guidelines for proper heating and safety. With a little care, Panda fans can continue enjoying their favorite foods conveniently reheated in the microwave-safe Panda bowls.