Glad containers are a popular brand of food storage containers used in millions of households. Their versatility and convenience make them a staple in many kitchens. A common question many Glad container users have is – can these containers be microwaved safely? The short answer is yes, Glad containers are microwave safe when used properly.
Read on to learn more about microwaving Gladware and tips for safe use.
Glad Container Materials
Glad containers are made from #1 recycled plastic which is polyethylene terephthalate (PETE) or polypropylene (PP). Both these plastics are considered microwave safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Here are some key facts about these plastic types:
- PETE plastic is durable, shatter-resistant and retains its strength even when reheated. It does not melt or warp in the microwave.
- PP plastic is also shatter-proof and retains its shape when heated. It has high heat resistance.
- Both PETE and PP plastics are BPA-free. They do not contain bisphenol A, a chemical that can leach into foods when plastics are heated.
So you can be assured that Glad containers will not release any harmful chemicals when microwaved. Their materials make them safe for microwave use.
|Polyethylene Terephthalate (PETE)
Are All Glad Containers Microwave Safe?
Glad manufactures a wide range of food containers in different shapes and sizes. While all their containers are made from microwave-safe PETE or PP plastic, some are better suited for microwave use than others based on their design.
- Gladware plastic containers: All Gladware plastic containers such as their squares, rounds and rectangles are microwave safe. Their simplified design with no metal makes them ideal for microwaving.
- Glad Ovenware: This line of bakeware is also microwave safe. The glass lids contain metal rims so need to be removed before microwaving.
- Glad Snapware: Most Glad Snapware plastic containers are microwave safe except some older models with a metal snap on the lid. Check carefully for any metal before microwaving.
- GladWare Flex ‘n Seal: These flexible plastic wraps, bags and pouches are not microwave safe. The metal zip track makes them unsuitable for microwave heating.
So verify the specific Glad container you have is microwave safe before using. Avoid any with metal components in the lid or base. The basic Glad plastic food containers are reliably safe for microwave use.
Microwave Heating Guidelines
While Glad containers are microwave safe, following some basic precautions will ensure safe microwave use:
1. No Metal in the Microwave
Never microwave metal, so be sure to remove any foil or metal components from Glad containers before heating. Metal can damage the appliance and cause electric arcing.
2. Use Microwave-Safe Cookware
Only use microwave-safe cookware and avoid any with metal trims. Choose Glad’s plastic containers without metal rims or snaps. Glass bakeware with metal is unsafe.
3. Follow Recommended Heating Times
Start with the minimum recommended heating time and add more time in 30 second intervals if needed. Avoid overheating.
4. No Reused Single-Use Containers
Don’t reuse single-use Glad containers like deli or takeout containers. Use only their reusable plastic containers.
5. Allow Proper Venting
Leave one corner unsealed on Glad lids to allow steam to vent and avoid splattering. For bakeware, cover loosely with a paper towel.
6. Avoid Empty Heating
Don’t microwave Glad containers when empty to avoid warping, burning, or damage.
7. Check for Damage Before Reusing
Inspect containers carefully before reusing and discard any that are cracked, warped, or deteriorated.
Following these tips will keep your Glad containers in good condition for repeated microwave reheating.
How to Microwave Glad Containers
Microwaving food in Glad containers is quick and easy. Follow these steps:
- Select an appropriate container: Choose a Glad plastic container without metal components that can fit your portion size. Avoid overfilling.
- Prepare the food: Transfer food into the Glad container. For soups or liquids, leave at least 1 inch headspace.
- Seal loosely: Cover the Glad container with its plastic lid. Leave one corner unsealed for venting steam.
- Microwave in short increments: Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes based on quantity. Check and continue heating in 30 second bursts.
- Allow standing time: Let the heated container stand 2-3 minutes before opening it fully. This allows the temperature to equilibrate for even heating.
- Check temperature: Stir the food and check that it’s heated through. Reheat for additional time if needed.
- Remove container carefully: Wearing oven mitts, remove the Glad container by holding it at the corners to avoid steam burns.
And your food is ready to enjoy – conveniently reheated in a microwave safe Glad container!
Foods You Can Microwave in Gladware
Glad containers are ideal for microwaving all kinds of foods including:
- Leftovers – casseroles, rice, pasta, meats, vegetables etc.
- Frozen foods – prepackaged frozen meals, frozen vegetables etc.
- Baked goods – cakes, muffins, breads
- Liquids – soups, sauces, oatmeal
- Snacks – popcorn, macaroni and cheese cups etc.
When reheating saucy foods, use a larger Glad container to allow bubbles to spread out and avoid boil overs.
Avoid microwaving foods with a high sugar or fat content in Glad containers as they can get very hot. Instead, heat them in small portions using microwave-safe cookware.
Helpful Microwaving Tips
Here are some handy tips for effective and safe use of Glad containers in the microwave:
- Stir foods occasionally during heating to prevent hot spots.
- Use microwave-safe cookware for foods prone to boiling over.
- Allow extra headspace for liquids and sauces.
- Heat foods containing salt, sugar or fat in short 1 minute bursts.
- Microwave dense foods like casseroles and lasagna at reduced power.
- Do not microwave Glad containers when empty.
- Check Glad lids regularly for warping and replace if needed.
- Avoid using damaged or deteriorating Glad containers.
By following the proper usage guidelines, Glad’s microwave safe containers can make meal prep and reheating convenient. Their versatility allows you to store, freeze, reheat or serve foods easily in the same handy containers.
Answers to Common Questions
Still have some questions about using Glad containers in the microwave? Here are answers to some frequently asked questions:
Are the older rectangular Glad containers microwave safe?
Yes, Glad’s older rectangular plastic containers without metal are microwave safe. However, inspect them thoroughly before use and discard any with cracks or damage.
Can Glad lids go in the microwave?
Glad container lids can be microwaved as they are made from microwave-safe plastic. Ensure they do not contain any metal components.
How long can food stay microwaved in Glad containers?
It’s best to consume microwaved foods in Gladware immediately after heating. Allow leftovers to cool before sealing containers and refrigerate for storage. Avoid keeping microwaved food in sealed Glad containers for more than 2 hours. Reheat to steaming hot before consuming leftovers.
Why do Glad containers warp in the microwave?
Incorrect microwaving techniques like overheating or microwaving empty containers can cause warping. Discard any warped containers and follow proper precautions. Avoid reheating foods with high oil and sugar content.
Is it safe to microwave spaghetti in Glad containers?
Yes, you can safely microwave pasta dishes including spaghetti in Glad containers. Use a large enough container and stir a few times during heating to avoid uneven hot spots. Allow standing time before consuming.
Can I microwave Glad containers with the lid on?
It’s best to leave one corner open on Glad lids to allow venting of steam when microwaving. For ovenware dishes, cover them loosely with a paper towel. Tight sealing traps steam and can lead to splattering or damage.
Glad food containers are designed using microwave-safe materials that make them convenient to use for reheating leftovers or frozen foods. Their durability at high temperatures allows them to be used repeatedly in the microwave. Following the safety guidelines on ventilation, avoiding overheating, and checking for damage ensures safe usage.
With proper precautions, Glad’s versatile containers provide a quick and easy method for reheating all kinds of foods in the microwave. Their microwaveability makes Gladware an essential tool for efficient cooking and meal prep in today’s fast-paced world.